macbook randomly shutting down!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by solly8, Aug 1, 2013.

1. solly8 macrumors newbie

hi, so im having this really weird problem. it started a couple days ago where i closed the screen on my mac, and pluuged in the charger. when i came home, the light on the charger wasnt illuminated (meaning it isnt charging, its normally orange when charging and green when full). and also my mac had been shut off. i turned my mac on and it was only at 20%, i was out and left it charging for 4 hours!!! and also the charger wasnt working at all, as if it was dead. a couple days later it started working again, and i was using my mac while charging, and out of nowhere, it completly turned off, and the charger went dead again. and the charger stopped working for a couple hours. i then had to re turn on my macbook again. and this has been continuously happening where while its charging, the computer randomly completly shuts down and the charger goes dead for a while and doesnt work at all. PLEASE HELP

2. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Greetings,

Firstly, for future reference, it would help if you would specify the model of your computer (and in this case the charger) when you ask for help.

Generally speaking, the typical intel macbook (whether basic, air or pro) power cycle usually is made up of the following components:
    - charger
    - DC-in board (integrated on logic board in some models)
    - logic board
    - battery
    - software
    Any of these five might be conspiring to produce your machine's behavior.

The order of how to diagnose the problem is:
    - SMC (system management controller) reset (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964)
    - charger. Start with a visual inspection, then borrow a known working sample from someone.
    - battery (if removable). Same as above.
    - Operating system. If you want to avoid the hassle of a full reinstall, get a bootable external drive, install a fresh copy of the OS and try whether the problem persists.
    - DC-in board (if exists). Replacement.
    - Logic board. Replacement (Ouch). If you cannot do it yourself (most can't or won't), it will cost you the price of a new 11" Air.

RGDS,

3. Lord Xeb macrumors member

Took the words right out of my mouth.