MacBook randomly slows down, despite CPU/RAM ok.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Flore, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Flore macrumors regular

Hello everyone.

I am having problems with my blackbook 2.16ghz 2GB RAM, 320 HDD, 10.5.6.

The issues are random slowdowns and lots of beachballs since yesterday.

At the moment I am running iTunes, Safari, Adium & Skype only.
    Might add that it's Safari 4Beta and also the Skype beta.

Now even at this fairly basic usage I get slowdowns in typing (the letters won't follow up), iTunes playing a song when i click it, or Safari when opening a new tab. Sometimes I will get the beachball, sometimes not.

Now I have 40GB of Harddrive space left, Hardware seems ok, restored permissions, ran all the maintenance scripts (Onyx, MainMenu), followed Activity Monitor to determine potential problems, but I never get more than 50% CPU and I always have at least 500MB free RAM left (way more Page Ins than Page outs also).

I know this is all very vague but I just cannot nail an issue, as most of the time everything runs smooth, but just every 30min or so I experience extreme performance problems.

Maybe you have any idea, I will keep updating this when I discover more relevant information.

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Have you tried running Disk Warrior or Drive Genius 2 to de-frag your directory? This would be my suggestion.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

What happens when you avoid the betas? Just use itunes, say.

4. Flore thread starter macrumors regular

Not yet but these cost a ton of money.
    I want to avoid spending money on stuff is not necessarily useful for now.. crisis you know :D

I had it running with iTunes and did some file movement in finder for a while, the problem is still there.. might be less prominent but it is hard to say as all this is very random...
    On the other hand I doubt this is caused by an app, just judging from what I can observe in activity monitor.

I am just not used to have this kind of lag and I don't think it is normal.

Thanks for your input, both of you though! :)

5. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

Man I am having this exact same problem. Same observations and same attempted remedies as the OP. My biggest problem seems to be coming from itunes. I have my library on a 500gb portable USB2.0 ext drive, and have never had a single problem with it since probably November (think that's when I got it). But now I can't listen to music on iTunes! It's like when I listen to music, I'm trying to stream it from a 56k connection. I click on a song but iTunes doesn't react for 10 or so seconds and when it does I get a pattern of 5 seconds audio 5 seconds freezing 5 seconds audio...

And the same kind of lag/delayed response time is happening with Safari (3.1.2)

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you should take a look at your activities monitor. something may be running in the background that doesnt need to be.