Macbook randomly turning off/iSight not functional, running slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shebax, Sep 25, 2008.

1. shebax macrumors newbie

Basically what is said above.
    Within the last month my Macbook (purchased in August 2006) has been randomly shutting down. It has been running slow (despite the 2 gigs of RAM I just upgraded to) and tonight my iSight is no longer functional. It has never been exposed to heat and never had significant water damage. Three days ago a Sierra Mist lid (damn pepsi) had a problem with it and leaked in my purse where my macbook was, but the case was only damp and it worked fine immediately after, including iSight. I turned it on to use it as a mirror ( i love being a girl) and it flicked black, I tapped it a little and it became a yellow tone but it showed my image, then it went black. I KNOW Sierra Mist didn't reach that (it only got on the case a little, it wasn't even damp and didn't enter any ports, I checked all of them and they were all as dirty and dusty as before).

Anyway, all of that said, I have an appointment at a Genius bar. Any ideas of what I should be expecting?

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Erm, sounds to me like the liquid did indeed get into your laptop. I wouldn't mention it, but if they notice it you're going to be out of luck, unfortunately.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I suspect a substantial bill.

If you're lucky, you've got bad RAM. If you're unlucky the logic board is fried.

4. shebax thread starter macrumors newbie

Legit, I'm 99% positive liquid didn't get in. The only thing that has changed from before the liquid was anywhere near the laptop was that isight flickered out, but it has been acting strange for a while. And i'm not stupid, so I'm not going to volunteer there could potentially be water damage.

Also, my computer blatantly thinks iSight is functional. The green light is on and everything.

When i shut down tonight I'm pulling the battery and RAM out to be on the safe side and putting them back in before I leave tomorrow for the store.