MacBook rant...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cheeseadiddle, Feb 17, 2008.

1. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

So our MacBook is three months old. Came with Leopard pre-installed. The thing probably don't have 100 hours use on it. We take it with us when we go to the cafe. It's always in a nicely padded case when not being used, I don't allow it to be carried around without it being in the case, and I don't allow drinks on the same table with it. In otherwords, it's been handled like a baby.

About a month ago, I noticed intermittent problems with the keyboard. Some keys wouldn't register. I noticed it most when I typed in my password. Then the track pad started losing sensitivity. Then last week, I go to install a piece of software with a dvd [unit has a combo drive] and the dvd won't even go into the drive. I check drive utility and there is no disc in there.

So I make an appointment at the Genius Bar, and explain all of the problems. They agree that the MacBook don't appear to have any signs of being dropped or crap spilled on it. So they tell me it will be about three days to put a new drive and top case in it. A week goes by and so I call up the Apple Store. Seems they replaced the top case, and when they put a new drive in it, it wouldn't work. So they are also putting a new logic board in it as that's most likely the cause.

So I get a call Friday and they tell me the logic board, combo drive and top case have all been replaced, and it's working fine. So Saturday we drive down to pick it up. I get it home, put the dvd in the drive and it promptly spits the dvd back out. Try it again, same thing. Put CDR's in it, music CD's... all with the same result. Spits it right back out without reading it.

So I'm furious now and call the Apple Store. I get the manager on the phone and I tell him that what upsets me so much is that whoever did the work couldn't have even tried the combo drive. Because if they did, they would have found that it don't read any discs. So he tells me to bring it back and he'll have someone look at it as soon as I get there.

Now I'm thinking I'm going to get there and the drive will all the sudden work. But to my gratification, it did just as it did for me at home. They even booted from an external drive to see if it was the OS. Same problem.

So now they are going to send it off to the repair depot and have everything replaced once again. Now I'm feeling like we got a lemmon, and with all these hands in it, parts replaced, etc... I feel like it will just lead to more problems down the road. They wouldn't replace it because they said this is only the second repair. So I guess when it barfs a third time, I can get a new one.

We just recently switched to Apple products. In the last six months, we've bought two iPhones, a 24" iMac, a 20" iMac, AEBS, and a MacBook. So far the 20" iMac has been a freezer, the iPhones experience problems like the phone not ringing and now the problems with the MacBook. I gotta say, I thought I was buying products that were better than this. If I buy six Apple products in six months, one is working as advertised, one is problematic, two experience intermittent problems and one has had nearly all it's parts replaced... I'm thinking the problems aren't any different from what I was running away from with the pc's.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Sorry about all your problems. Not sure I can offer any advice other than you should demand (firmly but politely) that Apple either fix your machine once and for all or replace it with a new unit.

I know it wont directly help you, but I've been using Apple products essentially for ever (since the Apple ][+) and I've never had any significant issues with them at all (other than owning a PowerMac G5 that was so loud as to be seriously annoying, but this was not isolated to my specific unit).

I have two iPhones (one for me, one for the wife) and neither of us have had any problems at all. Several iPods over the years and an Apple TV, all of which are working quite well.

Anyway, don't let Apple off the hook. They need to fix whatever products you have that aren't working properly.

3. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Man, that really sucks. I've had a similar experience with a 1st gen Macbook Pro.

Hold Apple's feet to the fire and do NOT accept a subpar machine. IF it comes back OK, I would not anticipate the odds of something going bad down the road are any greater than with a machine that hasn't been opened.

But if there is absolutely anything still wrong with it (which hopefully you have discovered within 10-14 days of the 2nd repair) take it back to the store. I would argue that two repairs has really turned into 5 or 6 components being replaced. They should absolutely hand you a new machine right then and there (be prepared for this and have your stuff backed up).

If that doesn't work, there is always phone support, but let's not cross that bridge until we need to. Generally the store should be in a better position to replace the unit.

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Wow, I'd be upset also. One thing to keep in mind is even though Apple makes good products they aren't perfect and will break. And, the people who work for Apple aren't always great either. I think when it comes to support it really depends on who you get. Some support folks are awesome while others do the bare minimum.

5. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Apple has hardware issues- there's no doubt about it.. I know people will deny it, but I've been using them too long, and using too many different machines to believe otherwise.. I never even heard of a logicboard when I used a PC- now that I've been using Macs I've replaced 6 of them- along with 2 optical drives, 4 iPhones, countless iPods, etc.etc.,

But even with the hardware issues I still say Apple is way better than the alternatives..

For one thing- they make good on their faulty products- yes, it's inconvenient and I hate it.. But the alternative is using buggy software that just doesn't work right, ever..There's no denying that the mac is a better user experience, free of viruses, spyware, and other facts of life that Windows users deal with on a daily basis.. Sure, we may have to replace a HD every now & again, but that's a minor inconvenience to the hoops windows users have to jump through just to securely start-up their units..

That's just my opinion..

6. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

oo man that stinks i hope they get that fixed for you!!

7. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I feel your pain...oh and how.

Apple makes great products, I just happen to purchase the ones with all the "issues".

I am glad there are so many Apple fans that are patient...I am not.

I gave up on the iphone due to so many issues, and have allready been through 2 Macbook Airs in 24 hours.....

I hope you are taken care of....if not call 1-800-apl-care and let them know your thoughts.

8. cheeseadiddle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the words of encouragement, folks. I'll keep you posted as to the result of the repair. One thing to note... They must be having a lot of problems with these optical drives. They didn't have one in stock, the nearest store didn't have any. They told me they had to overnight a few in. The Genius Bar guy said he thought that was odd because he said they always have a ton of them on hand in the store... And he said he did know of a keyboard issue on the MacBooks, but that he thought it was cleared up.

9. jonswan macrumors regular

What a total bummer - enormous sympathy for you. In the past 2-3 years I've Macbook, Macbook Pro, 2 iMacs, iPods galore and the only problems have been one Macbook battery which was replaced on the spot, and Leopard's issue with airport connections - and the latter has more or less driven me demented, so you must be furious. As the above poster said, go in there and keep calm and state your case - that MacBook should be replaced seeing as how they've basically had to strip the damn thing to pieces. Is it me or is quality control going up **** creek?

10. cheeseadiddle thread starter macrumors regular

Well, got the call. It's ready to be picked up at the Apple Store again. This time I shall take some discs with me... I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

11. cheeseadiddle thread starter macrumors regular

I picked it up from the Apple Store tonight. First thing I did was try a DVD in it. It worked as it should. Pretty fast turn around from the repair depot in TX, as it went out Monday morning. The work order says that they replaced the Combo Drive. So this would be the third Combo Drive that was installed in it ; ) Evidently Apple has a bit of a QC problem with these drives.

12. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular