Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rovitotv

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Greetings,
I have two Macbooks 7,1 and 6,1. Due to circumstances outside of my control I don't have the original Macbook 7,1 disks but was hoping to do a re-install with the 6,1 disks. Is this possible? When I try I get this exact message, http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3742 which seems to be a kernel panic. Any ideas?

Can I somehow load Windows on this computer without OSX? That would solve my crises until I can replace the 7,1 disks. Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Greetings,
I have two Macbooks 7,1 and 6,1. Due to circumstances outside of my control I don't have the original Macbook 7,1 disks but was hoping to do a re-install with the 6,1 disks. Is this possible? When I try I get this exact message, http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3742 which seems to be a kernel panic. Any ideas?

Can I somehow load Windows on this computer without OSX? That would solve my crises until I can replace the 7,1 disks. Thanks.
The grey install disks that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models. You can order replacement disks from Apple, or buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
What you can do is boot the new machine into Target Disk mode, connect it to the old machine, install from the old machine, boot to this newly installed OS on the old machine, and then run Software Update to get you up to 10.6.8. This is your workaround, since the disks don't have drivers for your newer machine. You get the drivers by installing 10.6.8.

The grey install disks that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models. You can order replacement disks from Apple, or buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

A retail copy of Snow Leopard is only 10.6.3, but the Mid 2010 MacBook came with a modified version of 10.6.3, so the retail copy will still fail to boot the machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

rovitotv

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Target Disk Mode is not supported by white Macbooks with no firewire ports

What you can do is boot the new machine into Target Disk mode, connect it to the old machine, install from the old machine, boot to this newly installed OS on the old machine, and then run Software Update to get you up to 10.6.8. This is your workaround, since the disks don't have drivers for your newer machine. You get the drivers by installing 10.6.8.

I *think* target disk mode is not supported by white Macbooks without firewire ports? Maybe I am missing something....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What you can do is boot the new machine into Target Disk mode,
That won't work.
If you have two Mac computers that are FireWire-equipped, you can connect them so that one of them appears as an external hard disk on the other. This is called “target disk mode.”

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Hmm.

Could you pull the hard drive, enclose it, and proceed as if connected in Target Disk Mode?

Rob

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
I *think* target disk mode is not supported by white Macbooks without firewire ports? Maybe I am missing something....

Crap... that's right. I forgot Apple actually made machines that don't support this. Even the old 68k PowerBooks supported target disk mode over SCSI. Therefore, the options are either to get the replacement discs from Apple or remove the hard drive.

rovitotv

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Thanks for the ideas!!!! I am going to look at how to get replacement disks and if that does not work I will consider doing a hard disk swap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.