MacBook Re-Sale Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DHarrisDBS34, Jun 29, 2009.

1. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

Hey I'm thinking about buying a unibody Macbook Pro 13 inch. To finance it I want to sell my current plastic Macbook. I want to make as much off of it as I can so I have a few questions about it:

Craiglist or Ebay?

Will upgrading the RAM result in a net gain?

What happens to AppleCare if the Macbook changes hands?

I would also be using the Education Discount so I save $100 on the new Macbook and I can also send the free iPod Touch I would get since I already have one.

And if anyone else has any advice or experience with this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I would definitely recommend Craigslist, ebay takes ages, takes a big cut, and you're more likely to get flakey bidders. I prefer to deal locally. Not sure about the RAM. And Applecare is transferrable.

3. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

i dont think the ram will change the value too much... and they can always add it...

craigslist for sure.

and... uhh... o yea.. apple care can be transferred (i read it in the manual thing today)

4. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

macs hold their value really really well, you can probably get a lot for it

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. Craigslist.
    2. It should make it sell easier at the least.
    3. You can get a form off of apple support site to transfer applecare.

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Lot of craigslist fans here I guess.

Since we're talking about "selling" and not buying, ebay works if you already have a positive rep. At least you don't have to meet potential buyers in dark alleys or drive 20 miles across town just to find out the guy doesn't have any money.

The buyer pays for shipping and the ebay/paypal fees aren't too bad.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...compare the price you want toward what its going for in the refurb store and the other used mac sites...

8. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

This is a silly statement. Macs don't "hold their value" anymore than any other used computer. It's the silly mac users that think they deserve to recoup most, if not all, of the money they plunked down years later when they're selling the machine. You're selling a used computer. It's not a collectible and it's not a classic car, it's going to lose value.

I love seeing all the idiots that post a Black or White MacBook on Craigslist and ask $1300 or $1400 for the thing, claiming it has "loads of software installed, but I can't give you the disks", which any mac user can pirate just as easily as they did.

9. Fgozalo macrumors member

Hi all,

Not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but does anyone have a rough estimate of how much I could sell my sis's Macbook (MB 13.3/2.4/2X1GB/160/SD-DL:WHITE-USA - MB403LL/A)? It was bought last october for around $1,199.00, it's pretty much in perfect condition.

A friend was offering 800 bucks for it, does it sound any good, do you guys think I could get more from it?

Thanks.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It is true Mac's hold their value well but it comes down to what it's selling in your area. Just because it's selling for 1200 (pulling a random number) in another city, doesn't mean you can sell it for that much if in your area have Mac's selling for 700. Instead of asking us how much you could get for it, you need to compare it with those in your area.

11. eman macrumors 6502a

Sell on Craigslist for sure; meet in a public place (I.E. inside restaurant and not in parking lot) accept only cash and only meet near your residence. Ebay and PayPal will charge you about a 12% fee to sell your item.

12. caonimadebi macrumors regular

that's a great price for it. Apple was just selling the refurbished 2.0Ghz(this may be lower than your 2.4 but it's got the latest version with nVidia graphics, yours is the intel X3100) white macbook yesterday for $750. You may be able to fool a few on craigslist with its high Ghz number and get a good price but for $800 i'd sell it right way.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...0479833&PID=1225267&SID=u0t1429749f0fp0c0s598

13. Fgozalo macrumors member

That's what I was thinking, I thought i was a really good offer, reason why I sold it right after posting here, LOL. Still, many thanks for replying, now I might be getting my sis one of those low specs new MBPS.

Cheers all.
    :apple:

14. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

Macs do have a better resale value than PCs. A three year old Mac bought at a certain price gets a better resale than a three year old PC bought at that same price.

To get a good idea of what your computer is worth, look at what they are selling for on eBay. I don't think localities have different market values (prices don't differ that much) since we live in the internet age. I think we all check local prices against internet prices.

15. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

CL is def the way to go....ebay & paypal will take fees from you as i'm sure others have already mentioned....cash only...i even go a step further when selling big ticket items and use one of those markers that test the authenticity of money (i bought it at staples)

16. poblack macrumors regular

I want to sell my 13" macbook unibody to get a macbook pro. I'm trying to get $900 for it but if I sell it on ebay the fee's will be close to $100 so I'm looking into craigslist.