Macbook reads connected but I am not connected

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dean87, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Dean87 macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble connecting to the internet with my friend's cable modem. I plug the ethernet cable and in the network window, left menu it displays green and reads connected. In the middle it reads Ethernet is currently active and using the IP address (which it shows) Yet I open Safari and I get the Failed to Open Page.

2. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Hey, my cousin had this same problem on his macbook, only with his airport rather than ethernet. 1. Make sure you have proper connection between modem and ethernet port (obviously). 2. You have to go under system prefs and click on the network pane. Select your ethernet in the drop-down menu and make sure it says "configure with DHCP". If this doesn't fix it, I know that when we set up internet at our church, each computer had to authenticate with the ISP unless it was hiding behind the router. Hope this helps!

3. Dean87 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

well, like i said, with my church the computer had to go to an ISP-given IP address before it would work. Also, try tinkering with the safari prefs

5. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

nvm, scratch the safari prefs, they don't do anything. you said this was a cable modem correct? (not dsl.... router)

6. Dean87 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

i'm pretty sure it is probably on the isp side of things because if your macbook is communicating with the modem, I don't see how you wouldn't be getting a connection. However, I am certainly not an expert, but it is possible that the ISP doesn't let you connect until your computer is registered with them. Also, try restarting the modem. And one last question, do you have any other computers that work with this modem?

8. Dean87 thread starter macrumors newbie

My friend's pc works with this cable modem. She is not using any router, just the cable modem.

9. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

hmmm... I would call the ISP. However, last diagnostics question for now, when you went to the network pane, was the ethernet status bubble red, yellow or green?

10. Dean87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Green. It's in the first message of the thread in more detail.

11. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

sorry, didn't pick up on that.... anyway, since you have a "green light" from the modem, it must be on either the ISP or personal settings in your browser. I know safari uses whatever connection it finds, so unless you use firefox or other, i don't know what other settings there could be leaving only the ISP as a possibility as far as I can see. Call them up and troubleshoot. They should be able to help you and get you going pretty fast.

12. Dean87 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

no problem, i just hope it helps! let me know how it turns out