Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i have two 1 gb sticks in my mac, and lately, it's been only picking up 1 gb of memory on restarts, and i don't know how to fix it anymore. i thought a pram restart would do the trick, but it's not working anymore. in addition, i've been having random restarts from time to time and it's a pain trying to get back to full strength. and plus, i think safari is a memory sucker (true) and it's not helping things. any advice on how to get my computer to detect both memory sticks and stop the random restarting? thanks. (btw, i have a 2.0 ghz c2d late 2006 macbook).

JNB

macrumors 604
The first thing to try is to reseat the RAM. If the problem continues, pull one at a time. The one that is out of the Mac while it's booted up and showing 1GB is the bad one. Or, if you choose wrong on the first attempt, the one that is in the Mac and it will NOT boot up is the bad one. Just replace the bad stick, should that be the case.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
The first thing to try is to reseat the RAM. If the problem continues, pull one at a time. The one that is out of the Mac while it's booted up and showing 1GB is the bad one. Or, if you choose wrong on the first attempt, the one that is in the Mac and it will NOT boot up is the bad one. Just replace the bad stick, should that be the case.

the thing is after a while, the other comes back online, it's like a delayed reaction of sorts. i'll try that next time i restart.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
the thing is after a while, the other comes back online, it's like a delayed reaction of sorts. i'll try that next time i restart.

Really sounds like an intermittent connection. Those little socket levers & tight squeeze can be a pain getting RAM truly seated well. I agree w. JNB and you should probably try to reseat first, and if persists swap to find afflicting member.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
my other question is if this kind of problem results in random restarts, because i had a few in the past day (it's usually a on/off type of thing).

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Sure does. Random restarts are typical for a memory module problem. Try reseating first as you have been advised - but be careful to get the correct angle on the module and don't use excessive force.

Regards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.