Macbook receiving AM radio via display port connector

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by boxgamex, Mar 12, 2009.

1. boxgamex macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago, I discovered that when my Mini Displayport to VGA connector was plugged in, I heard a buzz through my speakers. It didnt bother me that much, so I just dealt with it. However, today I was plugging my external speakers in, and when the connector was about half way in.. I started to hear audio that I knew wasnt on my computer. Turns out it was commentary on a college basketball game. I started to listen some more, and discovered that it was 1530am. Seeing as I use just a standard set of 5.1 computer speakers... I found this to be extremely odd, so I figured id share this with everyone. Any ideas why this may happen?

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I know my PowerBook has never done that. Or my iBook.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Wow AM Radio with a Mac.

Does Apple know how long people have waited for this utility on their iPods/iPhones?

How come it is so dang hard to get an AM radio app or device?

I know of about twenty people right off the bat who would buy an iPod for local football sports coverage if Apple would figure this out.

Anyway that is a weird but interesting issue. Obviously something is being used as an antenna with your set up.

4. eelmac macrumors member

it actually sounds pretty awesome :D free radio!

5. nemacman macrumors newbie

Last time I checked all AM radio was free.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

You can buy video cables that have ferrite beads (or buy the beads and DIY) that can eliminate RFI/EMI.

7. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

You'll hear stories like this every now and then. Happened to me when I lived in the dorms in college and plugged headphones into my speakers...except I got 88.1 FM!