macbook recovery disc woes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tempusfugit, Jun 10, 2009.

1. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I seem to have misplaced the recovery discs for my brand new macbook. I'm thinking about upgrading the hard drive to a 500 gb store bought one but I have a question about the lack of a recovery disc.

I have a family pack of leopard licenses for other machines and one to spare which I have no problem using, but I was wondering if that leopard installation would install the trackpad features for my macbook. Will I see trackpad in system preferences? Will it work just like it did?

If so, I don't really care about the recovery disc. Otherwise, I might have to invest in another one.

help?

thanks a lot

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Does it really matter just as long as it's Leopard?

Maybe I'm missing something here but whatever you're lacking from the install would be downloaded via software updates wouldn't it?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The trackpad drivers may or may not be present in their most updated form in that Family Pack depending on when you bought it.

Either way though, you can install/restore with those DVDs and then update to the most recent 10.5.7 via software update, and that'll secure the most recent drivers for you.

Also, you may be able to go into an Apple Store and swap out your Family Pack DVD for a more updated one for free/minimal charge. On top of that, recovery discs can be obtained from Apple Support for ~$32 when you provide them with your computer's serial number.