MacBook redesign - Buyer's Guide

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Steven.nevets, May 20, 2008.

1. Steven.nevets macrumors regular

I know, I know, you see a thousand posts like this every day. But I didn't see anywhere someone discussing this, so I wanted to bring it up.

Looking in the MacRumors buyer's guide for the MacBooks, the standard timeframe for their updates has been one in April/May, then another in September/October, since 2002.

Why is everyone saying there will be an update in the summer, if they traditionally always release them right after summer ends?

I'm going into university next year, and I'm hoping to get a MacBook. I'd like to get one of the new ones (even if it is only minor speedbump; better is better!) but is that a realistic hope?

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

3. Matek macrumors 6502a

Apple updates laptops when Intel updates their laptop platform, and since Intel announced an update for the beginning of June, it's clear Apple will have to update as well.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Perhaps because Intel is releasing a new systemboard architecture (Montevina) in late June that would provide real, measurable benefits to the performance of the MacBook line and Apple wants to take advantage of this to push sales during the "Back to School" buying period?

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Because Apple wants all the college students to buy their computers before school starts and then a month later release a newer model.

6. Matek macrumors 6502a

I think all of the worries are useless ever since Apple came to the x86 side. Before that, updates were rare and usually pretty major so if you bought something right before it was updated, it could have been technology that's 1-2 years old.

Right now, Intel releases a new CPU or laptop platform every half a year and most performance boosts aren't that huge (10-20%), which means you can usually safely buy a machine whenever you want. The Montevina update won't bring anything special (just a slightly higher fsb and some other improvments, processors will remain penryn), it will be another evolutionary upgrade.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

they might be just rumors but there has been a lot of talk about a total redesign and not just a new chip, like making the whole line aluminum. only time will tell though, apple has been breaking their release patterns lately.