MacBook refresh 2009 predictions?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryuukumori, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

The only reason I am starting this thread (and it is a bit out of the picture to ask), is because I will be purchasing a MacBook by the summer of 2009 for college. I believe that time (and the back to school promo) is the best bet if I would be buying the latest and greatest for the time being.

Now, based on statistics from past refreshes of Apple notebooks, what can I expect for any small improvement bumps on the MacBook? Will we be looking at MacWorld 2009? (I doubt this because the redesigns were launched just 2 months ago). Maybe a safe bet is a refresh in 6 months, in April? That would give me 2 months in that cycle before I buy.

If anyone has any good predictions or ideas, that would be awesome. This place has really influenced me, an all-time PC user, to finally make a switch. Thank you all!

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The only thing you can expect is a hard drive upgrade, maybe a processor upgrade, and maybe some better graphics.

3. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

I would say the next redesign will come at least 2 years away - Summer 2010 earliest. As mentioned above, it will only be minor processor upgrades, hard drive expansions, and only very minor updates (eg. trackpad gestures) before Summer 2009... that is of course if they do get updated before then.

I'd expect though at some point in 2009 the White MacBook will be dropped, and an equivalent equal-low-spec unibody MacBook will replace it at the same price tag.

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

April 2009 is too early and summer 2010 is too late. It'll be around the end of 2009, maybe the beginning of 2010. There won't be anything new until the new processors from Intel.

5. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Probably this low end model will be the current 2.0, 160GB model and the 2.4 will slide into the $1299 spot. Can you imagine how many of the unibodys at $999 or $1099 will fly off the shelves???

6. danvan21 macrumors regular

7. amrk47 macrumors regular

the next gen macbooks will come out in 2011 and will have a built in SIM Card Reader so you can use your macbook as a cellphone

u heard it first by me

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you bought it in September, according to Apple's release schedule, you'd be buying right before an update.

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Everything you read here is speculation. NO ONE knows FOR SURE what will be updated.

10. iOrlando macrumors 68000

these new alum macbooks will be the new look for apple laptops for the next 3-4 years...so no point in trying to decide what the new design would be....

in the meanwhile...expect speed bumps..memory upgrades....better graphics 2010 maybe/late 2009....

11. rhodent2013 macrumors member

My Current Guess

So, it is now almost April and we are approaching the end of the macbook's current model cycle. We are like on day 165 maybe and the average span is about 194. So, if there is going to be a refresh to the current models, it should occur within the next few months. I feel that we might see it in June when Snow Leopard 10.6 is released and upon the return of Steve Jobs, which happens to be the same day according to various sources on the internet. What the refresh will be?? No one can tell. But as for when to buy? I would definitely be planning on June. That is when I am getting mine because I start school back in August. And since I will be new to the software, I need sometime to adapt. Let me know what you guys think about the current and upcoming events. To me, it looks like things are starting to unfold. There was a refresh back in October of 2003 and then the next refresh was April 2004. Do you think they will follow the same pattern? Because if you look at this [http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/] you can kind of see a pattern in the way they update.

12. IrishSniper87 macrumors regular

They will prob do a Spring spec bump, which would be wonderful.

I'm on the fence about buying a MacBook, but I would love if they made the 2.4 a bit cheaper. I don't care about HDD space much, since I will prob upgrade to a SSD in the next year.

Wishlist
    2.4 Ghz MB (2Ghz is a $1300 laptop is lame)
    2 GB RAM (I can bump this up myself)
    250GB HDD (Temporary until SSD's are reasonable)
    Higher quality MB Screen (so watching a movie on a MB is tolerable)

I wanted to get a new 2.0Ghz, but now I think I'll get a refurb 2.4 for only $100 more. It's still pricey for a laptop, but I want one soooo bad. I don't need one right this minute, but I hope Snow Leopard gets released soon. Spending another $129 is not in my plans, haha.

Also, I can't decide between iWork or Office for Mac, but I think iWork will do.

13. aratio macrumors member

I really like the white macbooks, so, I'd like an update still providing the white macbooks with better processor and support for 8Gb.

14. aratio macrumors member

OpenOffice is your friend.

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I think OP meant a refresh of processor etc like the recent whitebook. Not an entire change in body.

Looking at past changes, I say definitely by next October, but who knows possible right before release of Snow Leopard, so I dunno, june? All a guess =)

16. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

17. o2xygen macrumors regular

haha, good call.

I dont really expect any changes. Dont get your hopes up like I did with the new imacs. The best part about back to school was the free ipods.

18. t310790 macrumors newbie

i am desperate for the return of FIREWIRE in the macbook

19. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It's still around in the whitebook.

20. JD92, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  21. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I hope for price drops, screen upgrades, firewire 800, and the discontinuing of the whitebook

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

23. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I'm just hoping for some price drops.

I've stated in a few other threads that Snow Leopard release and Rev. B MacBooks are required before I make my purchase.

24. IrishSniper87 macrumors regular

Thanks for the update Steve.

What are the lottos numbers for next week man? You obviously know the future.

I think the OP wants to guess what a update could be, and if Apple follows their typical schedule, expect a small update probably soon and a larger one later this year or early next year, like Apple has been doing for ages.

I'd love if they updated the screens on the 13' to make them not suck as much.

Pricedrop would rock.

Both would be heaven.

25. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

What in god's name would you need 8GB RAM for in a notebook? Seems like one of those things one would get "just to have it".