MacBook refresh prediction pool

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pboy2k5, Mar 2, 2011.

?

MacBook refresh prediction pool

1. Quietly before iPad 2 release on March 11

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. After iPad 2 release but before April 1

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. On April 1, Apple's birthday

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. After April 1

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  5. Never, Apple will likely discontinue MacBook

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. pboy2k5 macrumors newbie

Now that Apple has released two new products in 2011, MBP and iPad 2, I guess it will be fun the take a pool on predicting whether MacBook will ever see an upgrade or not (considering that there is a rumor of its discontinuation). So, please cast your vote while we are waiting for the iPad 2 release on March 11.

Here are some interesting facts that I gathered from the release of both MBP and iPad 2:
    1. MBP was released on February 24, which is the birthday of Steve Jobs. This MBP was upgraded 317 days after its previous iteration, the longest refresh gap one so far.
    2. iPad 2 was announced on the March 2 and will be released on March 11 (2 = 1 + 1, a deliberate or unintended coincidence?)

The next important milestone will be April 1 which is the birthday of Apple. Assuming that Apple wants to play with the number 317, they could release MacBook on March 31 or April 1 to match the MBP release gap or exceed it by just one day (highly unlikely but Apple is known to play with the timing around 9:41 AM or 9:42 AM to unveil a new product in Steve's keynote). So what do you think?

2. Mph macrumors newbie

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Although I do not want to see the demise of the MB, I just don't know if it makes sense to keep it with all of the other options around that price range - 64GB iPad, low end 11" MBA or even the refurb of the previous 13" MBP.

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

So your saying that Apple so say: Sorry no more MacBook, you now have to buy something useless(ipad), slow(air) or used(refurb).

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

I think they will keep the MacBook around for people that cannot afford/don't want a MacBook Pro, and want more power then the Macbook Air.

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I could see Apple thinking they have too many devices at the same (approximately) price point and using this as justification to kill off the MacBook. Do I want them to do this? No! I wish they'd bring the price down a bit and put an i3 in it.

I hope you are right about that. This is exactly what I want - more power than a MBA and I really don't need nor want to pay for an MBP. But at the asking price for a new MB, I'd probably go for a refurb MBP 13 - especially the i5 version.

7. pboy2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

There are a few conflicting factors that will make the prediction of MacBook discontinuity pretty vague so far. Here are a few that I could think of to how Apple might weight their decision in the future:

Against discontinuation
    1. MacBook is pretty popular for people with tight budget and it might still beat the 13" MBP have they been refreshed within the same timeframe. A quick glance at Amazon.com bestseller laptops, MacBook currently ranks 11th, the recently retired pre-Sandy Bridge 13" MBP ranks 12th. Both machines are neck-to-neck competing for the same slice of pie. If you discontinue the MacBook, that might alienate half of the prospective buyers who want to purchase a 13" laptop.
    2. Apple technically needs a cheap machine for people who want to experiment with Mac OS but don't want to spend the extra $200 (even though they are financially capable of buying a MBP). After all $999 gives that sort of sense of, "it's just $900-something" while charging $1099 or $1199 suddenly makes people think, "it's more than $1000-something."

For discontinuation
    1. Apple is very anal when it comes to refreshing a lineup because they have the philosophy that a newer machine must be better than the previous one. That's the reason why the pre-Sandy Bridge 13" MBP sticks with Core 2 Duo even though i5/i7 could run on that machine because Apple finds Intel's embedded GPU less than the Nvidia's GPU but they can't add a discrete GPU because the motherboard is already very cramped. MacBook's fate will then depend on whether Apple deems the i3 could deliver the performance both processor-wise and graphic-wise. If Apple think that the i3 is not up to their challenge and they meet only dead ends, the best option is to axe the product.
    2. Apple is not afraid of making aggressive decisions to introduce or discontinue products. For examples: they stopped selling iPod mini even though it is really popular and introduced iPod nano in its stead. They bumped 13" aluminum MacBook to become MBP even though the video introduction that Apple released when they proudly announced the unibody technology clearly stated that they want to give the best technology to even the lowest product range. So, did they just betray the very heart of such promise? You decide. Last but not least, they introduced iPod touch even though many financial analysts feared that it would cannibalize on iPhone's market share. They were wrong.

If we take those four points above, I might predict a few possible outcomes:
    1. Apple makes a huge bet by discontinuing the MacBook and hope that people will shell out an extra $200 for the 13" MBP.
    2. Apple continues to partially mirroring 13" MBP features on MacBook.
    3. Apple soften its heart and allow i3 to join the family to further differentiate MacBook from 13" MBP.

8. Ringo-Chan macrumors member

Ringo-Chan

Maybe they'll stop and keep going on with MacBook Air

9. Brows macrumors member

can't see them canning the MB line ... at least not yet

One thing that i was thinking about the whole MBP and MB lines, the new MBP is still labeled as the "Pro" version of the macbook. if apple was looking to faze out the macbook wouldn't they maybe rename the MBP as its own thing and then stop with the macbook.

They need the MBP and MB lines both. they have a desktop mac and they have the serious spec desktop mac ... just like they have the mac laptop and the serious spec mac laptop. the Air line is at least to my way of thinking like the iPad, in between the iphone and a laptop, its made a market for itself, its Apples Net book.

10. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

The MacBook still sells quite well, so I wouldn't imagine they'd discontinue it. I think perhaps around the summer for a refresh.