Macbook Refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c0l3a5h3r, Jan 25, 2011.

1. c0l3a5h3r macrumors member

c0l3a5h3r

Hi,
    I'm a student and need a new computer. My old one is slowly dieing. The computer I had my eyes on was the MacBook Pro 13". I heard that a refresh is coming up soon and I'm not sure to get it now or to wait. I'm on a tight $1,100 budget and with the student discount the MacBook Pro just makes it. Will the price go up in this refresh or, hopefully, go down? Also, will the design change? I personally love the MacBook Pro's look and I don't want it to change. Lastly, does anyone know what will change or when it might occur? I know that no one knows the exact answers to my questions but does anyone have any ideas? Has there been any leaks? Leave your ideas below. Anything would be helpful!

2. kardiackeith macrumors member

Nobody knows for sure.

Everyone thinks by April.

Just wait.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Not another One :rolleyes:

Soon dude. Probably around April.

4. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

You'll get a thousand different opinions, but the thinking is if you absolutely need one now, buy now... otherwise, wait.

Personally, I'm waiting for the refresh, but that's because I don't need one right now.

5. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Man are you serious? I don't understand why there is not a MacBook Speculation thread that's a sticky.

6. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

If you can wait definitely do so. You will either get some shiny new thing you didn't know you need or you can get a chance at grabbing the previous (now current) version cheaper than you can now. That said if you need something now get it now. Constantly holding off for the next new thing is a no-win situation.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

prices will probably not go down. Usually apple keeps the prices pretty much the same.

8. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

discounts before refresh?

Hey everyone, as always lookin for a shred of hope, evidence for upcoming refresh. Based on the apple online store being revamped to look nicer, match it sleekness with its products/ user friendly for new products... / refurbished store has no macbooks, and only decent amount of macbook pros+ lowered prices

also saw this link from a third party site

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/38137/macbooks-imacs-discounted-at-comet

in the past, how early or late prior to refresh have supplies and prices given clues? these small steps could mean something, or could be non related.

macworld starts very soon as well, safe to say no ipad announcement before v-day for sure based on their promotion to sell the current for holiday/ rumors of display and camera still conflicting every hour. Will apple steal the thunder from macworld some how soon like it did take attention from CES with verizon, or will jan/ half of feb pass with nothing mac related.

* iphone 4 for verizon does not count for product release to steal from macworld thunder because this is an "i" device more focused on verizon + Macworld is about Mac.

opinions??

9. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Just wait for that college discount

Just wait no one knows when they are going to release the new mbp, april hopefully:D. One thing everyone can agree is that the new macbooks are outdated and seriously need some updating. Even if they raise the prices a little bit it will definitely be worth the wait. Believe me waiting is tough, what you need to do is just try not to think about it.

If you can wait it out they usually do the student discount where you can get a free printer and touch. I plan on waiting and just selling the touch since my smartphone works well. That's a free $200 and for me that makes it worth buying the 15" :cool:.

Anyways good luck with the wait!

10. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

For one, if you don't use a FireWire port, an SD card slot, or the remote with IR sensor, then just get the white MacBook; it's otherwise the exact same machine internally (just with less RAM configured) as the bottom of the line MacBook and it's $1000 new, $950 with an academic discount, and $850 if you can find it on Apple's Refurbished Mac section of their online store. The aluminum is nice, but if you don't need the technological differences between the two models, then it's silly to opt for the Pro over the white MacBook based on looks when you are on a budget. Both the white MacBook and the MacBook Pro lines should be updated sometime in the next couple of months; at least that's the running guess based on the average times between refreshes.

I'd say sooner, but definitely no later than April if it gets to be cutting it that close.

11. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

I'm actually going to guess on a limb here and say a Feb release. Looking through macrumors previous records of releases, apple never came out in March with a new macbook pro or macbook. Also, majority of releases as we know, come on tuesdays. Some were mon & wed however. This means a mon-wed time frame in which also apple never went 11+ months on a laptop. Sandy Bridge testing and reception of its capabilites were well received and acknowledged by Intel for increase production. Feb 20th marks the official anyone/everyone can sell the chips that date forward. Apple likely is not pinned to this contraint however. Going back to the dates, Jan has one monday left, could be next week to take attention off the then would be recent macworld expo. If not, Feb or April likely, but Feb more so. March has seemed to be a imac/ sdk month. Perhaps the v-day ipad promotion means ipad 2 anouncement/ availability will flip with laptops this year. Besides, the feb 10th verizon launch is more verizon promotion than an apple centric deal.

12. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The iMac doesn't have a specific month; though that is typically the iOS SDK month. Apple doesn't participate in Macworld Expo anymore and hasn't since Macworld Expo 2009. Apple did release the iPad and the Mid 2010 MacBook Pro line in the same month, so it is possible that they'll cram two different announcements into one. Otherwise, everything else you said checks out beautifully. :)

13. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Correct, imac does not have a exact month, sorry if I made it come across as such. I just remember imac has before gotten done in spring, more so than the never be March update for notebook. Regarding the expo, yes I know they don't participate anymore, but possibly steal their thunder by announcing a refresh within the days surrounding the expo.

In all honesty, it'll come when it comes obviously, life goes on etc.. It would just be real nice to see stories/leaks/rumors on product inventory, specs, dates, anything semi reliable to help the time go by from attention to the world of "i"

14. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Wait for the update, as you will get more value for your money!

15. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Oh yes I 'm waiting for sure. I tested out a 15" high end i7, love it, but I know the next ones based off the "macbook air, future of macbooks" will be even better. Flash storage, lighter, better battery, cpu and gpu are all in my mind a 95%+ chance. Fun to discuss, rumor, even better to see info, real rumors, leaks, etc. best will the the day.

16. evanrousso macrumors 6502

What does everyone think about the price of the upcoming MBP. I have been reading that since the MBP may inherit a lot of MBA features (i.e. SSD standard, thinner, possible removal of optical drive), it will drive the price up.

Apple typically holds to a price point and just updates the models at the same price as the previous (the base iMac I bought 4 years ago was the same price as the current base iMac).

I hope the the prices don't go up!

17. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

The prices, if they go up usually hold to within a hundred or two. Also, that could mean for high end BTO options as well, or stock high end with more air features. If this happens, likely lower end 13" mbp and basic 15 price may drop. Either way, prices remain generally the same, if goes up, it will be worth the few extra

18. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

+1

Apple's not one to steal thunder from those exhibiting at Macworld Expo. Nice idea though.

They'll maintain their current price bracket. I wouldn't expect much from the MacBook Air to trickle to the Pro; Blade SSDs and better battery life sure. Otherwise, they won't be that much different.