Macbook Refurbishment

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by channy9, Dec 28, 2008.

1. channy9 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Had my macbook a few years now and its starting to get abit tatty, is it possible to send it to apple for them to change the outer casing parts etc. To give it the look of a new one?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Send it to me, Ill do it.:rolleyes: Just kidding! Seriously though, I've never heard this question before; I'm sure someone around here will have an answer though.:)

4. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

You could go to www.ifixit.com and order some parts, then they will show you how to replace them, easiest, cheapest way.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

A better, cheaper, and smarter solution is to buy "Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser". I bought one, made the edge a bit damp and scrubbed my MacBook's polycarbonate shell. Don't use it on the LCD panel, but the top part of it is fine. It's very cheap, two of those "magic" erasers set you back a few bucks. And the pack I bought had 2 erasers for like 2 bucks. They're basically a foam block. My MacBook had some stains on the palmrest area that I couldn't get off with soap/water, tissue, etc. This magic eraser thing made it feel brand new.

6. California macrumors 68040

California

The OP's question is perfectly reasonable. I've done this with iBooks before.

To the OP: YES. Try to track down brand new parts from Apple Certified Techs or eBay or something. Check around for the best price.

Then... do it yourself.

I used to do this all the time back in the days of my Titanium Powerbooks. I used to love to get new outer casings for them, espectially new trackpads/palmrests.

The iBooks were easier to 're case" so to speak, but they did not need the newness as much as the Powerbooks.

But do a hard drive and or optical drive upgrade while you have the thing apart. Max your ram, too... because then you will REALLY feel like you have a new machine.

P.S. I think on the macbooks, Apple will be very helpful if all you want to do it get a new palmrest/trackpad because of all the problems they have with the plastics.

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Magic Clean Eraser, give it a try and it will make the entire computer look like new.

8. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

+1 for Mr. Clean. Brand new macbook for 2 dollars

9. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

baby wet wipes are just as good and cost pennies. Make sure they are the water only based ones though not fragance etc. Rubbed two of these over all parts of my macbook and it is not like new for no cost (baby daughter to thank lol)

10. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

+1 for Magic Erasers. David Copperfield can't really fly but those things ARE magic!