Macbook refuses to sleep when lid down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 3vo3, Jul 1, 2017.

1. 3vo3 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a macbook pro retina 13 mid 2014 model connected to 2 external monitors via dell d3100. Macbook was fully functioning previously but this morning I decided to upgrade my 128gb ssd to 480gb ssd from OWC.

Upgrade went relatively smoothly and I installed OS X El Capitan onto the new drive.

However since the upgrade, I noticed that whenever I shut the macbook lid, the laptop doesnt go to sleep as it previously did and this is further evidenced by my external monitors displaying active displays.

I have tried adjusting the energy saver settings but this hasnt made a difference. I also tried disconnecting the screens but issue still remains on macbook.

I have however noticed that the issue disappears as soon as i disconnect the charger. So in the instance the the lid is down on the macbook with external screens showing active displays, as soon as I disconnect the charger the macbook immediately goes to sleep so the issues seems to be connected to the charger somehow.

I dont know if there is a setting I am missing? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run the command below in Terminal and it will show you what is keeping it awake.

Code:
    pmset -g assertions
    Here is an article explaining how to interpret the output of that command.