Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
I have a first gen black MacBook, and I was using it at school yesterday just doing some work in iWork, and then got a kernel panic. Fine, no big deal, so I turned off the computer and turned it back on, but it hung at the gray screen with the apple logo on it for a long while, and never went past it.

After I got home last night, I tried starting it up again, and it did the same thing, but after staying on the apple logo for a little bit, the logo changed into the symbol that has a circle with a slash through it (I don't know what it's actually called).

I wasn't sure if that meant that it couldn't find the hard drive or something, but that was my assumption. I didn't hear any weird HDD scratching noises, which I suppose is good. I put in my Leopard disc so I could boot from it and see if I could figure out if there was something up with the hard drive. However, when I tried to boot from the disc, the disc kept spinning, but the logo/circle-slash symbol just stayed on the screen, and the MacBook never booted.

In addition to that, all of a sudden, sometimes the MacBook won't turn on when I press the power button. The little light on the front of it will turn on, but there's no startup chime, and the screen doesn't appear to turn on.

I'm kinda stuck...has anybody seen this before? I'm guessing I'm going to end up having to go to one of the Apple Stores around here over the weekend, but if anybody has any insight, that would be great.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This sounds to me like a hardware problem. I suspect something on the logic board has overheated and/or failed, preventing the computer from booting from any device. :(

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
just an update...

I took the MacBook in to one of the Apple Stores in my area, and they tested it and agreed that it was a logic board issue. Now, this is where the story gets good.

I've brought this particular MacBook in for repairs several times...3 times the SuperDrive wasn't functioning properly, another time the battery wasn't retaining charge and the trackpad wasn't working correctly. The genius I had saw this, and went in back, presumably to talk to the lead genius or manager, I presume. He came back, and told me that they were going to crew my machine and give me a brand new one because of all the repairs, and the face that I was still under AppleCare.

So, this means that I went from a 1st gen MacBook to the most recent revision! I'm a very happy camper tonight! Getting AppleCare really is worth it...for less than $200 (the cost of AppleCare for the new machine), I got a brand new black MacBook which would have retailed at $1399 at student pricing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.