MacBook Repair Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by craigb6, Aug 8, 2009.

1. craigb6 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm a student and have a Core Duo White MacBook which will be three years old in September. I have been having a couple of problems with my Mac lately and since the Applecare is about to 'expire' thought that I should try and get some of the problems fixed.

1) The bluetooth connection regularly drops with my mouse and my Mac reports "Bluetooth: Not available" The bluetooth icon disappears from System Preferences. A restart used to cure this, but recently it hasn't. Bluetooth can reappear a hour or even a day later!

2) The backlight also has a tendency to flicker and change its brightness by itself. This is probably the main issue I have. It's really annoying to be editing photos and having the backlight change brightness by itself.

3) The final issue is the '/' key doesn't always register key presses. I'd say that roughly 1/2 of my keystrokes to that key are not registered.

I have made some upgrades to my MacBook since buying it three years ago. I upped the RAM from 512MB to 2GB and the HDD from 80GB to 250GB. As I'm a student and realise that there is a chance my laptop could be stolen I have a password popping up at start up, login and when waking from sleep. I have also enabled Firmware Password using the original restore DVD so you cannot simply replace the HDD and boot up easily. I also have the invisible shield on the lid, mouse bottom and hand rests.

If you've managed to read this far thank you! Should I ring up Applecare or book an appointment at an Apple store (~roughly 30mins drive away and can only get there at weekends)? Also do you think I should replace the original components (RAM, HDD), remove the passwords and the invisible shield sheets? I am a bit concerned about leaving my laptop as although I have a complete backup, it does contain family pictures, documents, letters, iCal calendar etc. I ideally would do a fresh install, but I don't realistically have the time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any I really appreciate any advice you have. Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Calling Apple Care first will start your case. It will eliminate (in my experience) the need for the Geniusdouches to tell you to reset your PRAM and such.
    I also believe that while not necessary, walking in with a fresh install of your OS will help. This way they can wipe what they want and you can feel confident that they won't blame something you installed.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. Try to go through all the troubleshooting you can with or without AppleCare on the phone. You eliminate the Genius Bar doing unnecessary tests and you come to a conclusion faster.