Macbook repair - Applecare Service Code Deciphering?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cog, Jul 31, 2008.

1. cog macrumors newbie

Third trip to the hospital for the old macbook. Luckily, 33 days before the original warranty was up. The machine kept having random "Thread 0" errors that nothing would fix.

I'd like to figure out what the service codes mean as this 3rd trip back to Memphis indicated they did the same thing they did first trip. Here it is-

630-7797 M42A BEST WITH ST MICRO

Anyone care to weigh in on what that is? I'm hoping it's a logic board and Thread 0 appears to have no other possible fix other than replacing the Logic board...

Thanks for your insight.

Cheers.
    Cog

2. jwhendy macrumors newbie

Crazy! I just searched for "M42A macbook" because I just got my computer back from the Apple Store and a trip to the depot and your post popped up. I was worried I was going to have to bump a thread and to my surprise see that you made it yesterday!

1. I'm sorry I can't identify the part... I am interested to learn myself.

2. To potentially confirm your suspicion - my computer gave me the grey "you need to reboot/shut down immediately" and then it refused to boot. The light would turn on but black screen and nothing else.

My searches pointed to it being a logic board as well. One has to be careful not to confuse this with a flashing light in front (like when it's sleeping) and black screen.

Can I ask if you know anything more about the problems you've been having? Stating that the 1st and 3rd trip were the same fix makes me a little nervous!

Thanks!
    John

3. cog thread starter macrumors newbie

My symptom(s) was a random Thread 0 crash. Often it was Mail, Word or Excel that created the crash, at completely random times.
    I begin with all the regular fixes- PRAM reset, archive and install, etc.
    Nothing worked. Trip to the Genius Bar, they had no idea. So they replaced the RAM. It crashed right on the Bar after the RAM replacement. So they overnighted it to Apple for repair.
    I will say, incredible service by Apple, as the machine was back to me 8:30 am two days later.
    Not sure what they did other than replace the HD...which was really odd as Hardware Test never showed ANY hardware problems at all.
    Anyway, machine worked great for about 2 weeks. Then, Thread 0 crashes popped up again. Called Applecare, they sent the box, I sent the computer. Two days later, machine is back at my doorstep.

Fingers crossed, so far it's working great with no Thread 0 errors. I had the Macbook back for 4 days...I'll keep you posted.

4. edgar_is_good macrumors member

I also had this along with a few other things

603-8067 ASSY, INVERTER, M42
    603-9251 MPM MOUNT ASSY, BEST
    605-1108 SVC TOP CASE M42A BLK
    607-0397 ASSY BEZEL BEST M42A BLK
    608-0134 MIC CABLE ASSY, M42A
    630-7797 M42A BEST WITH ST MICRO

I can figure 1,3,4, and guess at 2 and 5. Ever figure out what BEST WITH ST MICRO was?

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Answers are in bold. I am not sure of them though.