Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brooklinebiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Hi everybody,
I own a 2009 MacBook like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...pyl-DqAject0NuldToR12BoCupPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds. It has been running pretty well despite its age. It has a new solid state hard drive in it. However, the screen display has dimmed out. I have been to a couple repair shops & both say the problem is either the display or the motherboard. One repair shop suggested I buy an identical older MacBook and install my hard drive in the replacement machine. It would cost me $125 for the repair & probably $150 to $200 for the replacement machine. However, the replacement machine may simply bring a new set of wear & tear problems. I had hoped to replace the machine next year. (My budget is very tight until the end of 2017.) I usually try to buy quality goods that will have a long life to them and repair them as opposed to replacing them. However, I am wondering what the best way to go is here. What do people recommend? Maybe even get a cheap Google machine?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
However, the screen display has dimmed out. I have been to a couple repair shops & both say the problem is either the display or the motherboard.

Very likely the backlight in your machine is beginning to fail not the display or the motherboard. Your 2009 MB uses the older type backlight rather than the newer LEDs. Go to www.ifixit.com and look up what's involved replacing the backlight. Who knows... you may get another year out of your MB.

brooklinebiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Hi, thanks for letting me know about the backlight issue & pointing me to that thread. I will take a look at ifixit & see if the machine can live on another year.

Last edited:

ddmcnair

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Dim display, with visible color and images is usually the backlight, and the fix is replacing the display.

adnanomatic

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2016
If you work can't be done with that Macbook, replace. If you still productive with that thing, keep with it and use your money for anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.