MacBook repair question...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by renewed, Aug 13, 2009.

1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Spilled tea on the keyboard. Now the keys stick a lot on the right side and the sleep mode light is permanently stuck on... any idea what Apple charges for a repair?

I have AppleCare, I know they won't fix it due to user error but can I get it looked at for free and then quoted?

Thanks.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Top case and logic board replacement is most likely what they'll want to do.

The cost will vary with what model and what specs the computer is. I'd wager ~$700 will be their quote though.

3. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

When I took my original BlackBook in for a water spill, I was told that it would need to go to the "Depot Repair" and it was a flat rate $800. I said no thanks and bought an early 2009 WhiteBook for $799 after a $200 rebate.

Now my BlackBook was dead, so if your computer is still working minus the keys sticking, it might not be the same.

Chef Jay

4. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah it works fine other than the keys on the right sticking. They aren't terrible but quite annoying. The shift key will stick all the way down and it takes a debit card to pry it back up. The only other thing I notice is the white light stays on.

I figured maybe they could clean under the keys or something.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you feel comfortable taking apart your keyboard, then follow this post. It has a small flickr gallery for picture reference. But another gallery following the same instructions is located here. You can take off the keys that are sticking and clean them with some rubbing alcohol and put them back on. The white and black keyboards are identical AFAIK so the process should be the same.

EDIT: this post in the same thread points out an apple support article on how to put back powerbook g4 keys. They are very similar to macbook's so you can also use that for a reference.

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann