Macbook Repair- Why Even Bother.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carfac, Nov 1, 2009.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I have had a few iMacs for the last couple years- Love them! I use one for music production with Pro Tools- that is sweet. My wife uses a 24" iMac for everything, she loves it, and feels right at home. So last Feb, I took the plunge and replaced a 4 year old HP with a 15.4 MacBook Pro.

Almost from day one, I had a keyboard problem. It gets brighter and dimmer, at it's own whim. Someone here suggested that some variable thing nin Setup was at fault, but no, it keeps doing its own thang. But no big deal. But the more I use this MBP, the more problems I notice, so I finally broke down and took it in for a work over by the geek squad at the apple store.

They thing some of my software was misinstalled, causing it to slow down. Possible. And the keyboard is a problem, so they send it back to be fixed. I figger as long as they have it anyway, have them clear the dirive and start fresh (yes, I BU before I took it in to the Geek Bar)

So I get it back, and I spend MOST of the day rebuilding all my stuff- adding programs, tweaking and all. They did not reinstall my iLife, no big, I have the disk.

So I decide to update, just in case the SL the Apple Geeks put on is not fully updated. Guess what! Geeks installed LEOPARD, NOT SL.

And, guess what else. I cannot get my keyboard to back light at all now. Nothing.

I just checked the Geek Bar Work Authorization. It says, "Proposed resolution: replace keyboard and other components as necessary, please format drive and erase and install 0.6 AND iLife 09.

None of which was done. And I have wasted the whole day reinstalling **** into the wrong version. Needless to say, I am a bit, uh, miffed with the situation.

Do I e-m ail someone, or take it back to the Geek Bar?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Just take it back to the Genius Bar and show them the work order and that procedure wasn't followed, they should make good on it. Try and keep a level head, everybody makes mistakes on their job. If you've ever worked, you have, I have and everybody else. I'm saying this so you won't go back with defensive feelings and become confrontational, many customers do. :)

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Oh, yeah, we all make mistakes; I would be lying if I said I had not. But rarely have I bungles SO BADLY. Nothing on the work order was done, or done correctly.

I can excuse maybe installing the wrong version (even though it was specified in the work order.) I can see missing the install for iLife... in fact, I expected that. Again, no problem. But the whole reason it went in was the stupid keyboard... and to my eye, that was not replaced either. It certainly was not fixed.

Well, I really do not have the time immediately to get back to the Geek Bar, I guess I will have to waste even more time on this ... :mad:

4. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

You should call 1-800-SOS-APPL and let them know that the repair wasn't done correctly, and no one checked to see that it was done before shipping the Macbook Pro back to you. That way, they can open a case for you, and keep track of progress until it's working properly again.

Sounds like the ambient light sensor is faulty, but I'm no expert.

5. jay1097 macrumors member

First off all do you use time machine? If not buy an external HDD and start using it! It will make backing up and restoring data a very simple process.

Next as HLdan said it is 'Genius bar' not geek whatever. Geek Squad is a best-buy service that is not even in the same field as the Genius Bar.

Any-who, I was looking through your old posts and it looks like you have had problems from day 1, you should make sure everything gets fixed properly next time and test it out in store!

Also sometimes you need to be pro-active in fixing your problems instead of expecting everything to work itself out, call AppleCare, ask the geniuses questions when you go to the apple store, make sure all your problems are fixed before you leave.

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't blame you if you did go in confrontational. They didn't do their job which was spelled out for them. It wasn't a simple mistake. Plus they wasted a day of your time (and will waste another since you have to go back).

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

He may have a right to get confrontational, but it won't do him any good. It never does. It just makes the staff annoyed with you. You want them apologetic, that way they do a good job fixing their mistake, instead of doing the bare minimum to get rid of you. And don't make the common angry-customer mistake of thinking the manager likes you better than his/her own employees. "I'll have you fired for this!" "Your worthless employee isn't helping me!" It's pretty unlikely, and the ranting will just make them more likely to side with the staff.

[/rant] [/I work with the public]

8. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Well, I am having them call me, should be in about 1/2 hour. I will express my EXTREME displeasure that of the three items on the work order, one was not fixed, one was done incorrectly, and one was completely ignored.

As I said in my original post, yes, I DO BU. However, it was my goal to solve the software issues the Geek at the bar thought was causing the slow-down, so I was reinstalling everything on a clean slate, and just going to import my data. So, after installing everything into what I THOUGHT was a clean Snow Leopard slate, I find out that was all a waste of time... also, I spent 2 hours installing Windows 7 into Boot Camp and configuring that... I do not think Time Machine does that, does it? Bottom line, the instructions say "Install 10.6" not "install whatever you feel is a good thing to do today."

When you have three things to do, and cannot do ONE of them correctly, you are a GEEK until further notice. Besides, you ever LOOK at the people in the bar? Geek is a much better description than Genius. They are nice enough, but they are geeks. (I mean that in the kindest way, I am a Geek, too!)

I hope that is what I am doing.... AppleCare is calling in 30 minutes. I just find it VERY odd that with SPECIFIC instructions to install SPECIFIC software (the SAME software the machine was sent in with, BTW!), that Apple would drop the ball. The Software replacement was done at the suggestion of the Geek, too.... it was not something I asked for until it was offered.

It is fixable, for sure, but disappointing. I would think that the keyboard issue would have been at least checked, but I know hardware issues can come and go, and I give them a pass on that.

On a positive note, I LOVE the Magic Mouse! For the iMac, it is so much better than the Mighty Mouse- the right click works!

[​IMG]

9. jay1097 macrumors member

Ok it's pretty lame that they couldn't test the keyboard backlighting in store, it's really not hard to do, just cover the eye sight and it will turn on.

What i meant to say is that, don't leave the store until you are sure everything is fixed! If they tell you they fixed something, open up your MBP and make sure that it was done. And i have to say that you shouldn't have to give them a pass on anything, it is there job to fix the computer.

One last thing don't give up on this great computer, the MBP is arguably Apple's best product.

10. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

I REALLY expected more from Appple. Really.

I just got off the phone with Apple Care. I had expected them to issue a call tag, pick it up tomorrow, and have it back in 3-5 days. That would have impacted me the least, and been an acceptable solution.

No. I have to drive it up to the Apple Store and set up a new appointment with a Geek, go over all this stuff AGAIN to the Geek, and hope THEY ship it in to have all this stuff done. Just more hassle. See, I have this crazy thing called WORK I have to do.... and after work, I am a soccer mom- today is ballet, tomorrow swimming, Wednesday soccer, etc. Then I have to make dinner, do homework etc. My next day free I can take a couple hours out to go to the store is Sunday. Really not very hassle free solution for me.

11. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

My understading is it is something on a baord not working, not the sensor. Or maybe it is the sensor, and that has to be replaced. Whatever, the case needs to be taken apart to fix it.

12. kolax macrumors G3

Pre-unibody MacBook Pro's had a light sensor under the speaker grills. The unibody MacBook Pro's just use the iSight camera to determine light levels. If the iSight camera is fine, then most likely corrupt software. The backlit keyboard will not turn on unless it is dark enough. You cannot manually force it on.

Sucks that your software wasn't the right version.

And don't blag about being a "soccer mum" etc.. we all have busy lives, you are no exception, so you shouldn't get special treatment.

13. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

I dfo not deserve special treatment because I have a busy life. I took time out and took my mbp in just like everyone else.

I DO deserve special consideration when they **** the repair up entirely, and they want me to spend MORE of my time correcting their mess up. I did NOT screw up the keyboard. I did not "forget" to install the proper software. But I get to spend two extra hours taking it in... yep that's fair.

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

You're missing the point. A customer shouldn't have to make multiple trips to the same store to fix the store owner's mistake. This is a very basic customer service issue.

It's one thing to be self-righteous about Apple's recent lack of customer service, and another to experience it firsthand, especially repeatedly.

15. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear of your problems. Sounds like whoever the MacBook was sent to, did not read the paperwork that was with it, as most people here have gotten machines back with more work done then what was on the original paperwork.

I wouldnt go in and start screaming until the third visit. Chalk the second visit up to a mistake, and let them know in no uncertain terms, but dont go nuts, yet. People who are level headed usually get better service then the person who blows their top, and they just want to do enough to get you out the door, and not have to deal with you.

16. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Maybe the problem is you insist on calling them Geeks? I have a few professional chef friends who probably wouldn't be too pleased to be constantly referred to as burger flippers, even if they have burgers on the menu and when ordered, they have to flip them. :rolleyes:

Genius Bar service varies by store and by the Genius him/herself. That's just a fact of life. If you didn't get good service at this Apple Store, is there another one you can go to?

17. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

I called NONE of them Geeks to their faces. I was more than polite in store- as was the woman who helped me. After all, I had no idea what was going to happen. And trust me, I wanted the problem resolved. I keep emphasizing the GEEK here because of the problem in this specific issue- and because I wanted to make the allusion to the Best Buy staff. Never called them that before this post.

But are you saying they would put a special, secret mark on my work order that means, in effect, "This customer called me a nasty name, make sure to do a poor job when you work on this computer."? :eek:

I am VERY sorry, I have given you the wrong impression. The person who helped me in store- the G!- was helpful, courteous, friendly, and pretty knowledgeable. They shipped my MBP to someone in Tech Support in Memphis (I am in Utah). It is some unseen, unknown Apple tech who dropped the ball here.

Turn around time was GREAT- I left it at the store on Sunday, it was back to me Wednesday. That is some kind of incredible. I guess turn around time is higher if you don't actually do anything!

You know, things happen. I am good with that- that is why we have Genius Bars and Geek Squads to go to. I own my own business, and I know if I sent something out that I had messed up, I would only ask my customer to rebox it, and I would have UPS/FedEx pick it up the next day. It is called a call tag. I have had to do that a couple times. Embarrassing, expensive, but it is what MY customers deserve. I certainly do not make them drive it back to me, or even to a FedEx pickup point.

In any case, I will be hitting the Apple Store Sunday- that is about the soonest I can make it. I will express my displeasure, but I will not bite anyones head off.... no one at the store is at fault. And no, Apple does NOT owe me a thang... other than a working keyboard. Now that I know to check, I will install my own SL and iLife.

Did I mention how mush I LOVE the Magic Mouse?