Macbook repairs and buying advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phapalla101, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Phapalla101 macrumors newbie

So, there are multiple questions that I would like to know if anyone has any advice about.

I currently have a 2008 Macbook Unibody that was purchased in mid 2009. It has done very well, and I have had few problems with it, but I think it is time to let it go. I am a high school junior with a love (read: mild obsession) for Apple and I can't really think about getting anything else. Now, I have a few options: I can pass the laptop on to my younger sibling to use when she gets to high school, I can pass it along to my parents who have no idea how to use computers, or I can attempt to sell it.

If I were to give it to a sibling, I wouldn't really get anything out of it but brownie points, but that would be kind. If I was to give it to my parents, I could find a way for their business to buy it from me, but probably not for more than $300-400. The reason for this would be to allow them to really learn how to run a business in a manner that I can control from a windows laptop, an older iMac, and the Macbook. Finally, if I decide to sell it, I face the issue of whether to repair it before selling or to just leave it. That is the biggest decision for me. I have a rather noticeable crack on the right side of the screen that I have been quoted can be repaired for about $150 with taxes and shipping. I also have a few minor scratches on the front cover and one missing foot. would the $30 or so dollars be worth it to repair?

If I end up selling it, then I could use that money towards buying my next Apple computer, which is the second part of my question.

I can't stand the black and white Macbooks that are currently out, and the Macbook Air scares me of, but I'm not completely against getting it.

I mainly spend my time doing teenager things like going on Facebook and checking emails, but the rate at which I do those things definitely put a strain on my battery and storage space. I will probably keep the computer into my freshman year of college or past that, just adding another to my collection at that time. I'm a bit of a workaholic, perfectionist, and entrepreneur, so I'll be investing in just about everything software-wise to run my parent's business from the background, design graphics for them and my two local businesses, as well as editing photos and videos for the websites. I also would a large enough screen and long enough battery power to view 2 or so documents at once, and to work long hours in the library as I write my senior thesis.

I will most likely be bringing along over 3,000 songs, 20,000 photos, 400 videos, and 1,000 or so documents, and I don't want to ever see a warning about not having enough space, though I don't want to overpay for space I don't need. I would be willing to possibly buy a Macbook Air and an iMac, or larger screen for editing work, but I definitely don't want to go over $1,600 for basic hardware, and need to be portable.

Finally, I would like to know about timing. I attend classes at a local University, so I could get the student discount and $100 to spend at the Apple Stores, but that is only valid until mid-September. Also, I could get an extra discount by buying on Tax Free day in my state which would be in August, however, I have read that it would be best to wait and see when the next Macbook Pro is released.

So to summarize,
    a) advice about whether to give away, sell cheaply, or sell online
    b) whether to repair imperfections or not
    c) what type of system to get
    d) when to buy said system.

Thank you so much in advance, it's just a little overwhelming to think about by myself.

2. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I say... keep the laptop until you start college. Trust me... if it works, it works. You don't want to spend too much $$$.
    I'm a new Freshman at a California State University and I have already owned $35,000 in debt.
    Time to get cheap and use what you have.
    Buy all the good stuff later on, like what I did.
    I knew a laptop wouldn't last 5 years when I decided to go shopping, instead I bought a desktop, which has now lasted me through high school year. Recently got a new MacBook Pro for college and I'm happy and for my time and patience, I probably saved myself $2000 in debt.

But hey... if you're parents are rich, nothing to worry about.
    Don't count on FAFSA or Financial aids... they have already failed me, giving me $5000 max grant for the entire year and I need $35,000