MacBook - Replaced Hard Drive. Problem Now...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pures, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Pures macrumors newbie

Hi guys, well I'm new to the forums. Today I just replaced my old Fujitsu 160GB HD for a WD 320BEVT. I have a white 2.4GHz MB got it around Aug 08. I have gone through the steps of how to install the new HD into the MB and I did everything correctly. But when I try to power on the MacBook, the MB does not recognize the HD. I have taken out the HD and putting it in more securely about 5 times, but there is no luck... I also went into Disk Utility and I only see the Mac OSX CD and no HD. I even tried going in to the Disk Profile and lucky it has the HD and some of it's specs. I also tried holding down Alt when it boots, but I see a "Flashing Earth" symbol. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is the HD faulty even though I see it in Disk Profile. Help would be appreciated and thanked.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd try resetting your PRAM and SMC. The flashing earth is an attempt to NetBoot.

3. Pures thread starter macrumors newbie

Any guide on how to do that as I'm not really sure how to. I just not sure why my MacBook doesn't detect the Hard drive in Disk Utility.

4. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

You did format the HDD to "MacOS Extended Journaled", right?

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Reset PRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Reset SMC: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

Follow the directions carefully, and ensure that you're following the proper method for your machine.

6. Pures thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I format it if the Hard Drive is not detected? :confused:
    I just bought this Hard drive today and I thinking it is DOA, but I can see it in System Profiler.

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Don't you have a USB-SATA external enclosure?
    If you put it in there, you still cannot see the new HDD in DiskUtility?

8. Pures thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that out once I get my enclosure. Thanks you for all the advice. Much is appreciated.

9. JMP macrumors member

JMP

You have to put your new HD in an external enclosure and format it using the GUID partition table.
    Once it's done, you can put it back in your MacBook.

10. Pures thread starter macrumors newbie

So, basically when I get my enclosure, I just boot the hard drive with the DVD and open Disk Utility and format + partition from there? If that is not correct, please tell me how. Thank you so much everyone.

11. catalyst11 macrumors newbie

When I replaced my hard drive (without an external enclosure), I just had to go into disk utility and format it, then OS X would install. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work in your Macbook right now. It's odd that it wouldn't even see it in disk utility.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you boot, press and hold down the OPTION key on your keyboard (right when you hear the optical drive); when it shows the boot menu, release the OPTION key and choose your internal HDD. When you boot into OS X and log in, go to :apple:—>System Preferences—>Startup Disk and then choose your internal disk.

[​IMG]

Restart your computer and it should now boot into your internal HDD by default.

13. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Why? Can't you just physically install the drive and then boot with the OS X install dvd? If the installer doesn't offer to properly partition and make the file system, then run Disk Utility and do it manually.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's how it should work.

15. Pures thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to try and RMA the hard drive I have and try the new one hopefull...:(

16. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

why not just clone your old drive and then put the new cloned one in your macbook easy as cake