Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
Hey.. well it would seem like the HD is dead in my Macbook.. ****.

Does anyone know which type and from whom I should get one from in the UK?

Also is there any tips for installing them that anyone would like to share?

Andy

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
How old is you macbook? The drive could still be under warrenty (phone apple and ask)

The offical guide (direct pdf link)

Another guide.

How much space do you want and how much are you willing to spend.

I received a recommendation from Eraserhead who has just got this drive.

You need to look for SATA 2.5" drives.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Dead MacBook HDD?

As above?
Out of warranty?
Been to the Genius bar?
Find out how much it'll cost, ask nicely. He/she quotes you, put a bit of pressure i.e. you're a little sad that 18months etc it fails blaa blaa

Push gently for a free repair - I had a friend have it done for free, 6 months outside of her warranty period.

F

Genius bars do tend to 'bend' the rules slightly... :D

bharkness

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
This happened to me yesterday morning. Never had a problem, no warning at all. Was working fine the night before, went to use it the next morning, got the dreaded, flashing, question mark folder. My computer is only a year and half old and I have always treated it like a newborn baby.

Went to apple store last night and the so called "genius" said since it is out of warranty there is nothing they can do. Usually the genius bar is really helpful, but I had no luck this time.

I do have a Seagate drive, but I do not know for sure it is the Firmware revision is 7.01. Most of my stuff was backed up (except stuff I was working on for work the day before, ARG!), so it is not a complete loss, but now I do not have a working computer!

Anybody know of a good place to buy a new hard-drive? Any other ideas on what I should do? How difficult is it to replace the drive?

Thanks everybody in advance for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.