Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Hi, I have an 80 gb macbook (pre sr) and I want to upgrade the HDD to at least 160gb. I can do this myself but I just have 2 questions.

1. I don't want to clone my hard drive I would rather start from scratch. So to do this do I just boot the mac up after installing new HDD with just the leopard disc in or is there more to it than that.

2. When I re-install my software (MS Office etc) will I still be able to use the original product keys or will I ust have to clone my HDD.

Sorry if this is a repeated thread, I tried looking for this in other threads but couldn't find the specific answers I needed.

A big thank you to anyone who helps.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Hi, the answer to both questions is yes. On number 2, as long as MS Office is an older copy than the new 2008 edition. I know it comes with an installer, but i don't know whether it locks the install to the machine yet.

Cheers
M.:)

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
out of interest - which HDD are you going for?

i'm in the same boat as you, have 80gb core duo blackbook and need a bigger hdd..

was thinking min 160gb .. but would prefer a 7200rpm..

will the 7200 rpm give more heat and can the macbook handle this?

thanks..

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Even with Office 2008 you needn't worry about re-using the key.

After you've started from the disk you may need to use Disk Utility (on the disc) to format the drive before installing it.

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
I was thinking of perhaps a WD 250gb 5400rpm or a smaller (say the 200gb) 7200rpm drive. I've heard the 7200 drives make more noise and takes more power though. I'm not sure to what extent these facts are true or noticeable but its something to think about.

Will probably go down the 5400 route though as I don't find the drive I have now slow, just to small.

Thanks for the replies.

Also forgot to ask, Apps like garage band are on the second disc shipped with the mac aren't they? If I install my leopard OS first will I be able to install the tiger version of these apps after?

Again thank you

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I was thinking of perhaps a WD 250gb 5400rpm or a smaller (say the 200gb) 7200rpm drive. I've heard the 7200 drives make more noise and takes more power though. I'm not sure to what extent these facts are true or noticeable but its something to think about.

Will probably go down the 5400 route though as I don't find the drive I have now slow, just to small.

Thanks for the replies.

Also forgot to ask, Apps like garage band are on the second disc shipped with the mac aren't they? If I install my leopard OS first will I be able to install the tiger version of these apps after?

Again thank you

Unless you need a drive that has a faster seek time for stuff like final cut & or rendering the 5400 will be fine. Yes you can take garageband of tiger onto leopard start with disk 1 theres a optional/customize install

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Clone HDD? How?

OK, I have done a search about cloning etc.. and since I already own SuperDuper, I'd actually like to use it to create a clone..

This is my situation..

I have the original 80GB HDD in my macbook .. and want to replace it was the new 250gb drive I have just ordered..

I don't have an enclousre for the 2.5inch drive.. instead, I've already got a 300gb seagate 3.5inch external firewire drive which I can use for this exercise.

So, if I'm correct ..

1) I can re-format my seagate 3.5 external,
2) hook it up to my macbook via firewire,
3) use superduper to create a bootable clone of the current 80gb macbook drive
4) install the new 250gb macbook drive

5) .... and this is where I'm not sure what to do...

Do I have to format the new drive first?
Do I use migration assistant?
I'm unsure of the steps involved with getting the clone from the seagate onto the new macbook drive...

Can anyone post some simple stp by step instructions please?

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Not sure as not done this without a enclosure(but someone else will know)my advice would be to buy a enclosure use carbon copy cloner as im not sure
if super duper is leopard ready yet use this to clone onto your new drive try
booting from it if ok swap the drives

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I bought an enclosure (£5 from eBay) and stuck a brand new 250GB HDD in my MacBook. I formatted it and installed Leopard from scratch.

I then put my 60GB old HDD in the enclosure and copied over files I wanted. Worked like a charm.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I bought an enclosure (£5 from eBay) and stuck a brand new 250GB HDD in my MacBook. I formatted it and installed Leopard from scratch.

I then put my 60GB old HDD in the enclosure and copied over files I wanted. Worked like a charm.

which enclosure did you buy out of interest on ebay?

hmm.. i'd still like to not buy an enclosure and use the existing equipment i already have..

anyone else care to add their input please?

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
I think I'm just going to copy my needed files (music and photos and work stuff) to another computer then install a new 250gb drive in macbook and start it up from scratch. thought this would be a good chance to get rid of non-essentials. Can anyone see a problem with this method?

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
which enclosure did you buy out of interest on ebay?

hmm.. i'd still like to not buy an enclosure and use the existing equipment i already have..

anyone else care to add their input please?

It wasn't branded - just a USB2 SATA drive from some eBay seller, there are loads of them on there. Definitely worth getting - I was able to boot my mac off it too with the disk I'd taken out.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Just so you know, I've upgraded my Blackbook Core Duo with 2GB ram and 250GB HDD..

This should hopefully last me another year or so without the need to upgrade, no matter what temptations Apple throws at me ;)

I went down the same route as the OP.. as in just backed up some files to external HDD, and did fresh leopard install.. then just coped the files back..

I', going to get a external caddy/case for the original 80gb hdd so I can format it and keep as backup or even sell :0

Thanks for everyone's advice and input.. it was, as always, a painless process!!

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Just so you know, I've upgraded my Blackbook Core Duo with 2GB ram and 250GB HDD..

This should hopefully last me another year or so without the need to upgrade, no matter what temptations Apple throws at me ;)

I went down the same route as the OP.. as in just backed up some files to external HDD, and did fresh leopard install.. then just coped the files back..

I', going to get a external caddy/case for the original 80gb hdd so I can format it and keep as backup or even sell :0

Thanks for everyone's advice and input.. it was, as always, a painless process!!

Good to hear it worked well. Im still deciding on which hard drive to go with. Good idea on using the old hdd as backup, I think I'll do the same.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Good to hear it worked well. Im still deciding on which hard drive to go with. Good idea on using the old hdd as backup, I think I'll do the same.

I went with the Western Digital Scorpio 250GB 5400 drive.. didn't really see a big need for a 7200rpm.. i may do some light imovie work, but most of that i do i=on my imac anyway.. macbook is mainly for porting around and web/email/documents/downloads etc...

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
I went with the Western Digital Scorpio 250GB 5400 drive.. didn't really see a big need for a 7200rpm.. i may do some light imovie work, but most of that i do i=on my imac anyway.. macbook is mainly for porting around and web/email/documents/downloads etc...

Where did you purchase the drive from? Just asking because I live in the UK and want to know where to get it at a descent price.

Thanks

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Where did you purchase the drive from? Just asking because I live in the UK and want to know where to get it at a descent price.

Thanks

I got the hdd from overclockers.co.uk and I got the screwdrivers from lindy.com (both Phillips & Torx sets)
If you're interested I got the ram direct from crucial :)

All in all it cost just over £100 for the full upgrade ;)

Cheaper than buying a new macbook :p

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005

Thanks

I got a brand new 250GB scorpio for ~£80 on eBay so as with dalvin200 I did it all for under £100 (including screwdrivers and external enclosure). Plus I now have a handy 60GB USB2 drive that's very tiny and useful to take around if I'm moving plenty of data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.