MacBook: Replacement Parts for Broken Screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by djole, Feb 4, 2009.

1. djole macrumors newbie

Hello,

I did a very stupid thing the other day.......a lit candle was behind somebody else's MacBook (black 13" 2.0 GHz) that I was using, and it melted the casing + it damaged the screen. I found the whole thing for $500 at ifixit.com but that's a bit pricey (gotta pay somebody $200 to replace it). I'd like to buy the casing and screen separately, but I'm afraid I might buy wrong parts. There is a ton of stuff on ebay but very little information about compatibility. Plus I want to make sure I buy the Apple screen, not a generic one. I screwed up somebody's laptop after all. So what do I need?

- Can I use the hinges from this broken laptop?
    - What about clutch cover, cables hinge mounts, LCD mounts etc? What other parts can I use from the broken laptop?
    - And finally links to places other than ifixit.com where I can buy this.

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. oneEG6 macrumors member

You need new hinges also??? What exactly is the damage? Can you post pictures?

3. djole thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to know whether or not I need to buy new hinges. If I can use the existing ones, then I wouldn't buy new ones. And here are the thumbs....

thanks

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. oneEG6 macrumors member

You'll need an LCD and a LCD back panel most likely. Hinges should be fine, especially if it still closes ok. $200 for the install? Apple only charges $135.

5. djole thread starter macrumors newbie

It can run that high. The cheapest one I got is $80 per hour, and assembling everything should take approx 2 hrs. BTW, Apple charges $750 for the screen + labor.

Thanks for your help!