Macbook Replacement, Return??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jeremy08, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

Ok, so heres the story: I purchased a black MacBook with my student discount on July 8th, of 2008. About two weeks ago I started to notice a few areas of stuck pixels on the LCD screen. Needless to say, I took the computer into the Apple store in Country Club Plaza (KC). After about two hours of the Mac 'Genius' inspecting my machine, he finally decided it was worthy of a repair, (although I might say he was reluctant the entire way through, almost as if he thought it was normal to have 5+ stuck/dead pixel Annam mollies on my 2+ month old MacBook). I opted to wait until the following evening to turn my MacBook in to have it sent out, being as it was a saturday, and it wouldn't even be sent out until Monday morning. After Apple Care received my MacBook, and started to test it, they immediately placed in on Hold from repair, thus stopping the entire process until i was notified of the hold and was able to contact Apple Care. Once I contacted them, they acted as if I was telling them what the problem was with the computer for the first time, almost as if some other company than Apple was controlling the repair operation (suspicious??--outsourcing??) Anyway, the FINALLY 'fixed' the LCD and sent it back to me nearly the next day. I received it, took it out of the box, was initially happy when i realized the pixels that were troubled before had been fixed, immediately disappointed when I realized that now, different pixels were malfunctioning. I was completely unhappy at this point, being as I had now spent 3+ hours in the Apple store, as well as on the phone with Apple care, and was back to square one, with a broken MacBook. I of course went back into the Plaza Apple Store and asked one of the Apple 'Genius' squad members to help me out. I again spent another hour, watching the 'Genius' look at my computer with a fine-tooth comb, but this time, he decided that since there were only 3 pixel Annam mollies, it was not 'eligible' for repair. At this point, i was past the point of being pissed. I ended up calling the Apple Store in Kansas, basically on the other side of Kansas City, and with little to no effort of explaining the ordeal, was issued a point of sale swap, which effectively gave me a brand-new MacBook, with a new extended Apple Care plan, which is now forwarded to today's date, free of charge. Pretty good deal ehh?? But heres the catch, as we all know the new MacBooks are coming out soon, and I essentially have the ability now to return the MacBook for in store credit, (with my new receipt), and wait until the new computers come out. What do you think i should do??:confused::confused:

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

3. iRiFF macrumors newbie

well boiiii i know what i would do.. but i dnt wanna start another thread on morals.

i wouldnt open it and i would wait and swap it straight when the new ones come out you have the right as they gave you a point of sale swap and so if they did that on oct 14th you would have recieved one of the new ones anywhoo.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I wouldn't, simply because I couldn't last two weeks without my computer waiting for something someone random has said would be out that day.

5. Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

This my friend is the exact question posed by my thought, although I am trying to balance the idea of not having a computer for 2 weeks (potentially longer) with on the other hand, if they do come out in 2 weeks, and i open my computer anyhow tonight, i will be completely pissed, ehh?? Any other thoughts? Wait a week and see if we see any more rumors?? Anybody??:confused:

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The black MacBook is honestly an awesome computer. If you wait until the 14th, what if it isn't out? Then it will be the end of October, and before you know it, you'll be without your computer for months.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Well since you are posting I'm amusing you have access to a computer? I would wait. I wish I did :(

8. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

get store credit. wait 2 weeks. if they are not out on the 14th. go in, buy your macbook and be happppppy.

9. Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

Just a question (this may sound dumb), what is so significant about the 14th? Is it really even likely they will be released on that specific date, aka, any prime knowledge that has been displaying showing that it will likely come out on the 14th?? Anybody??

10. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

it is VERY likely that apple is holding an event and introducing a new line of laptops. updating the macbook, and mbp. there are so many rumors (pretty reliable) going around that point at the 14th being the date, as well as numerous sayings of what design changes will be made.

its very possible.

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

there has never been an event for the MB before, I'm not so sure there will be one now. And where has anyone said the 15th?

12. Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

update: According to several apple stores that i spoke with, because of the nature of the return, they claim that they would not be able to issue me a credit, simply because the original purchase date was longer than 30 days ago, this somewhat makes sense, but i feel like it might also be bs. They issued me a POS swap which basically means I brought in a refund, and was issued a new computer, with a receipt indicating such. What im wondering is that if i were to skip explaining any of this to anyone in the store, and just take the computer in along with the receipt and ask a credit if they would just do it, or would they have some way of knowing all the transactions that i had taken place in order for me to get that POS swap, aka would they really even know the original date of the purchase?? I mean it doesn't state on the receipt that I got a POS swap, it just indicates the original purchase date of the compuer and the purchase date of this new computer and the credits, etc. So now im in sort of a perdickament, i could go into the plaza store again and try to return, but judging by how unhelpful they were before, who knows what will happen this time, OR i could wait for a week and a half and go back to omaha (hometown) and try it there (also the original purchase place). What do you think? Do you think i would have to return this replacement computer to the store that replaced it anyhow without manager approval? Or will apple let you return something to a store that you purchased at another apple store, say in another state? Thoughts?!?!:confused:

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just take it to the store another day without opening computer and get store credit or a refund. They'll give it.

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It's a guess. Apple never confirmed or declined it.

MacBooks were actually supposed to be out September 16th. If it was me, I'd be using my new Blackbook right now.

15. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

16. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

:p :D:)

I think the guy above is right , I read somewhere about an exchange if you get hardware & within a certain amount of time something new comes out ...or maybe it was software (or both) ..., I'm not certain though

17. Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

So just to confirm: what you guys are saying is that you think that it is insignificant that the several stores that i called said that because it was a POS swap and the original purchase date was more than 30 days ago for the first MacBook, they wouldn't be able to help me out. Essentially your saying that they were saying that in order to keep me from returning it, but in fact, if i just brought the POS swap receipt in, (which by the way looks identical to what a refund recepit with the credit going towards the exact same product would be) and asked for store credit say within the next 14 days (what i think is their return period) they will probably just go ahead and give me the in store credit? Is that what you think? And also that i won't matter it was at another store?? Thoughts?? And thanks for being so helpful so far everyone, its sounding like if they will let me get the credit, it would benefit me greatly to continue mooching off of other people's computers for the next 2 weeks and see what the 14th brings me....Think so?

18. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

19. iRiFF macrumors newbie

yer that sounds rite, i would defo go for it man.

20. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Good luck with that plan. I certainly imagine as soon as they scan the bar code on the receipt for a return/store credit it will reference the original item exchange (and the original purchase) in the point of sale system information that is retrieved just as returns to Lowe's and several other major retailers I know of do. I can't imagine their P.O.S. software to be any less in-depth than other major retailers.

21. Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

I would think the same thing, although it has a return date of October 13th under the second macbook listed on the reciept (the one they replaced my original one with), as well as 139.90 if opened...so that would leave me to beleive the manager that did it didn't even log it as a pos swap in store?? Well anywho I'm gonna go try today, we shall see.....

22. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I think your chancing your arm a little personally but I can see where you are coming from as paying a premium for a machine does demand a premium product .

In the UK I'm fairly certain that once an item is swapped out for new then a new 'contract'(if you like ) comes into effect as the machine (or whatever) is new .
    A computer( or any item ) should be fit for purpose , end of story .If it's not return it , refund or replacement ......country to country have different prospective on this though so check it all out properly first with relevant consumer groups in your country ....they may help you with any issues

In fact yeah , my partner swapped a faulty kettle for a new one so the new guarantee ran from the date of the swap , not from he original date of purchase ....which is common sense if you ask me ..........still , I do think your chancing your arm a little but ...........

23. Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

Well sir, i took the chance...ended up great. I am happy to report i now have an Apple Store giftcard with the balance of:$1706.29...I am estonished how easy it was to work over the system, but then again, like you said my man, the system screwed me first. If Apple didn't have such ****** customer service (at least as far as i am concerned for Apple Care as well as the Kansas City Plaza store), then maybe I wouldn't be forced to pull the old switcharoo, and wait until the infamous MacBook update comes around. I guess my friends now have the chore of letting me use their Laptops all the time...I bet they will be thrilled :D
    Ps. The return itself was seemless, there was no mention of the product being a POS or that I had originally purchased it 3 months ago. The only thing was that he couldn't put the balance back onto the Visa i purchased it with, it had to be a giftcard. The only other problem was his inexperience when it came to opperating his handheld device, he couldn't activate like the 3 first giftcards he tried...was a litte amusing if you ask me. I was even discussing with him why i was waiting and wanted the credit instead of a new machine right there....he actually said he was in the same boat, although claimed that he didn't pay attention to rumors because Apple won't let him...HA If you ask me, Apple is a big show, they just put off a certain perception in order to sell a product, when it comes down to it, the employees and the company policy is as thin and corrupt as oooo i dunno, lets just say the American Government?? Alls well that ends well :)

24. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Well , I don't think you " worked over the system" , Apple will have understood that you have a new machine & your entitled as a consumer to replace or refund if not happy , no screw over at all in my eyes .

25. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Well, I'm still against the return. The chance of getting of the MacBooks coming out on the 14th is probably a 20% chance. Then, the chance of them being the aluminum dream computer priced lower is about a 20% chance on top of that as well, assuming there is an update this year.

You may be waiting longer than you think. The waiting game works as if it isn't out on the 14th, it will be out two weeks from then, then two weeks from then, you get the picture :p