MacBook requiring force restart alot. Please offer me some advice...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tongteh, Aug 14, 2009.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

Hey guys.. i am having some issues with my macbook these past 3days, and its just not the way i want it to be.. :( alright, let me describe what happened:

few days ago I was using my macbook as usual, then suddenly comes a terrible lag with my macbook(there's a delay for everything at about 30-45secs). it's impossible for me to restart it, so i did a "force restart(holding onto the power button".

After that, i couldn't turn on my macbook anymore, i kept getting stuck at the first screen(where the apple logo and a spinning wheel under it).. that was my first encounter with such a problem on my macbook. :( what i found out is that i got an error message saying "open error 5 input/output acard......", but couldn't repair it under disk utility. then went to search the internet and decided to restore from time machine backup. I didn't get any sleep for one whole night because of that!!

After the restoration, now my macbook is acting very very strangely.. like if i left my macbook restarting itself, and come back later it would hang at the login page, but the mouse pointer would still be working though(just can't key in my password or click on anything).. feels like the start up time is much slower, i get slow response at times and other minor minor stuff..

i am really panic now, i have come to a point where i rely on my macbook alot. i really don't want anything bad to happen.. :( is there any suggestion from you guys? thank you..

and now when i do disk utility check i get a huge bunch of messages:

Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Reading permissions database.
    Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Components/CoreMediaAuthoringPrivateComponents.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaAuthoringPrivate.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AVC.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/IIDC.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MPEGAudioDecoder.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MPEGLayer2AudioEncoder.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Tundra.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VDC.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaPrivate.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTimeJava/QuickTimeJava.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/AppleVAH264HW.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTime3GPP.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeFireWireDV.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeH264.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeIIDCDigitizer.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeImporters.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeMPEG.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeMPEG4.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeStreaming.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeVR.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.webplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QTKitIBPlugin.ibplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Spotlight/QuickTime.mdimporter/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/iSightAudio.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnnotationInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/AudioSettingsInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/DataRefInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/HintTrackInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/NetworkInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/SettingsInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/VisualTrackInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAdvanced.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAdvanced.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTMediaKeys.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAdvanced.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTMime.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAdvanced.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTTransport.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTPlugIn.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTRegister.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTRegister.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAbout.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTStreaming.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTUpdate.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "usr/lib/ruby", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions verification complete

2. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

instead of verifying your permissions in disk utility try verifying your disk it seems to me like you have a bad hard drive

3. simewich macrumors newbie

possibly a bad hard drive. do you hear any weird clicking or grinding noises from you macbook?

4. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”

Performing live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.

no grinding noise.. so what else could be the problem? :( thanks for the help guys.

what happens if i have a bad harddrive? do i need to change it?

5. Tlynryd macrumors newbie

MacBook not booting, stuck in Apple logo and rotating disc

Hi, I have a similar problem with my dauhters macbook (white plastic version, 13" 2 ghz, 2 gig ram, 120gig hd). Getting stuck at Apple logo & rotating disc. Tried resetting pram, pmu, booted with Mac OSX disk, ran a verify disk permission, repair, and came up with "The volume Macintosh HD apears to be ok". Took HD out of macbook and hooked up as external drive to 2nd mac, trying to save files, but HD only makes clicking noise. I know that this usually means bad HD. So I go to Hitachi website and try to get replacement, they want me to enter serial # of HD, I look for serial #, but cannot find it....?!?!? here is what I found on HD:

D33373 N13508 HTB-HTS543232L95A0(B)

Hitachi Made in Thailand 5V 700mA ---
    Caution: Do not remove any seal or label. Avoid excessive shock. Do not push
    on top cover and PCB. Do not cover breather hole.
    020-6223-A

120gb FLBFS655-1440C *IX9030KEV5A4A*
    PN: 0A72030 MLC: DA2834 Jan09

And these are all the numbers/letters that I can find, tried every combination of these numbers/letters but none of these are accepted at Hitachi's website. I'm not giving up yet!!!!
    Ok, I install back into mac and try to go into single user mode, - works, - in unix then I try to see if I can access the HD, and it seems to work too, I go into users, my daughters, here documents.... etc.... so why can't I access it as a external HD? So the HD is not bad at all?!? Strange, this is my first experience trying to repair a mac, but I had no idea that it's that strange. I took the HD out again and tried to hook it up again as a external HD, but same problem.
    Right now HD is back in Macbook, and I'm running another Disk Utility session with the MacOSX disk and again no problems, but still not booting.
    Not sure what I can do next to save some of her files, without re-installing OSX.

a new (sorry ass) mac user

6. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

i know exactly how you feel!! i did the same thing as you to take out my HDD.. :( luckily i had time machine and everything is alright now but still feels like there are some problem with my macbook! :(