Macbook Resell/Price Hold Value?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by branharrison6, Apr 5, 2007.

1. branharrison6 macrumors member

What is the current resell value or price retaining ability of a macbook. I want to get one but am worried of being outdated MUCH too soon. Would I, if I chose to, be able to get a good % of the $ back for my macbook if I decided later to sell it to upgrade when a new macbook or MBP comes out??

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. civilizedrat macrumors regular

That would based, firstly and largely, on the condition (of how worn it is), whether it's 1.83 or 2.0 (CD or C2D), white/black and the going rate of a refurbished of that very model from Apple (which most people, given two non-new computers with same specs, would prefer). Then factor in any upgrades you made, e.g. RAM, HD or Invisible Shield etc.

3 months-old "Like New" models of the 2.0GHZ Core Duo MacBook on eBay are hovering close to (and at times are just the same as) the prices of a newer model from Apple. I don't really see any consistent pricing strategy/buying pattern in the used MacBook market (on eBay, that is).

I'd say Apple rivals Honda in holding resale value. Furthermore, I think some dedicated Apple fans will pay almost the same price for a used MacBook in good condition as they would a new one. Dunno why. But YMMV.

P.S.: When all else fails, rely on the original packaging to boost the deal.