Macbook reset using MBP instal disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Rene90, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Rene90 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to sell my macbook before I upgrade to my next laptop. I have a few questions before I factory reset my laptop. I only have my original Mac OS x instal DVD (before leopard) and iwork 08. My iwork 09, leopard and microsoft office DVD's are all in my apartment where I go to university and I won't be going there until September. I do however also have access to my brother OS X MBP instal DVD which contains leopard and the newer version of iwork. With this information can someone tell me if there's a way for me to factory reset my laptop and keep microsoft office, the new iwork and leopard? Can I use the MBP OS X instal disk and somehow keep some of my apps? That would be the simplest.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you want to completely reinstall the OS and make sure there are no traces of your information, you will not be able to keep that other software on the machine since it will be lost in the reinstall and you don't have the CDs with you.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

The osx install/restore disks are machine specific. An MBP disk will NOT install on a MacBook, nor on a iMac.