Macbook restarts itself after a while

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sagiti, Nov 2, 2008.

1. sagiti macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1 GB ram and Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 and here is my problem: Whenever I leave it unattended with iTunes playing, after 20 minutes or so, iTunes and all other programs shut down and the Macbook restarts itself. The only exception to this is when there is more than one tab open on Firefox and the program can't quit because of the restriction on closing multiple tabs. In this case, all other programs quit but the computer can't restart. It seems to happen only when iTunes music is playing on the background and I'm not using the computer. When I close the lid to put it to sleep there's no problem. I don't know if this is due to iTunes, Firefox or something else, it's really frustrating. :confused: Can anyone help?

2. NEAME macrumors member

NEAME

Run your computer from the system disk. May provide clue for what's going on.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Does it say restart or logout?
    System Preferences -> Security -> Log out after n minutes of inactivity?
    Is it checked? Uncheck it.

What do the logs say about the issue?

4. sagiti thread starter macrumors newbie

hi,
    i unchecked the 'log out after 30 mins of inactivity' and tonight i'm going to test it out because it might be the culprit. there is usually a warning on the screen as 'logout has timed out' and it may be because there are a few tabs open on firefox and it wasn't able to close the program. i'm not sure how the logs are checked. but if this works, i won't be needing that. thanks!