Macbook Restore Discs Needed/60w Magsafe Please Read And Help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by road2music, Jun 14, 2008.

1. road2music macrumors newbie

recently my macbook was stolen off me in the street, i reported it to apple with the serial number.. i though with the price we pay for our laptops they shud have a GPS chip or some sort of tracking device atleast!!!!
    good news they found the c*** that did it and hes been charged etc. going to appear in court soon and recovered my laptop etc.
    i am going to collect the laptop on monday however they only recovered the laptop and slip case, my restore discs leopard 10.5 set of 2 cd's were inside and they did not recover them or the power supply unit for my mac.
    is there a way i can get one from apple?
    also what about the restore discs as i would like to wipe my hdd as i have that sick feeling inside that someones been using my mac if that makes sense?
    would apple be able to send me restore discs for my computer
    it is still under warranty,
    it was purchases in december 80gb, 1gb Ram.
    please someone help me with advice !!! thanks

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Don't think you will be able to get a free power supply, but you should be able to get replacement disks restore from Apple, I would think. The genius at the Apple store might be able to help...

I saw a number of power adapters on ebay for about $40+. New ones are $79 from Apple.

Can't believe it was stolen right off of you on the street... :(

At least you got it back...

3. road2music thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah teaches me a lesson to walk with a tesco bag with my slip case inside it was a one off movement from one place to another and it happended :(
    the only thing i have at the moment is my mac remote with me
    while we are speaking my mac is still bagged up at the damn police station.
    also whats the chances of the battery going missing?
    as when i took my receipt to proove i owned it the police had the mac with no battery??
    i might not accept it back without a battery and just do a claim,
    i will buy a magsafe off ebay,
    so i should ask apple for a set of restore discs then u reckon?? as they were notified when it was stolen.
    thanks

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would contact Apple (or search their web site) and request a new set of restore disks. If you have a local Apple store, they might be able to help.

Seems weird that there is no battery - that is another $129.

I would get a battery from Apple. It stinks that you are out almost $200, but at least you got your computer back...

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why would the battery be missing? I mean the guy stole it to sell most likely and I don't see why he would take the battery out; the MagSafe is cheap; sorry that you got robbed off the street, but it's best to go buy you own adapter at the store. As with the Restore DVDs call Apple and they will send you new ones; if they charge you tell them you got robbed--if they don't believe you offer to send the police report; Apple is very nice to it's customers.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The battery and the magsafe charger are probably the only things the individual could sell, since the SN was coming back stolen. The restore discs can be purchased from Apple for about $17 and some change. I'm glad you got your MB back.

7. road2music thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks,
    i will be going to the police station tomorrow, hopefully the police took the battery out to check the serial number so they may have the battery somewhere.. will post a message tomorrow and keep you all updated, i will ring apple about the restore discs aswell, thanks
    will post a message tomorrow night.

8. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

perhaps the police removed the battery to look for a serial number? Considering that its not on the outside of the unit, its the next logical location... And they would have been correct...

9. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

See a genius

Did you have a "Time Machine" back up... probably not huh?

10. road2music thread starter macrumors newbie

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE
    recovered the laptop back sorry for the delay police take there time!!!
    battery is intact they only took it off to see serial number,
    apple are sending me restore discs free off charge to format it,
    going to ring up the head office to see there deal on a power supply.
    cant boot up the mac at the moment condition looks ok.
    might take it to a store to do a diagnostic check on it,
    will keep you informed what apple say tomorrow.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Congratulations! Sounds like a reasonably happy ending to what could have been a very sad event!

12. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug