Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leisenstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
I know there are a ton of threads on restoring, but none seem to fit my situation and since I am a Macbook newb, I need some help.

I bought a used Macbook Pro (13", 2008 version). It came loaded with Lion, but no restore disk. I was told I could buy it from the App store if I needed it.

When I went to the App store, Lion is no longer there and my laptop does not support Mountain Lion.

I tried building one using a tool on Apple's support site, but it had me put in my apple id and said I hadn't purchased Lion with that account.

How can I build a restore disk in case I ever have to reload from DVD/USB?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I bought a used Macbook Pro (13", 2008 version). It came loaded with Lion, but no restore disk. I was told I could buy it from the App store if I needed it.

There is no such thing as a 13" 2008 MacBook Pro. It could be a 13" 2009 model, or a 13" 2008 MacBook(not a Pro).

When I went to the App store, Lion is no longer there and my laptop does not support Mountain Lion.

Either way, if it is an Aluminum unibody model, it will run ML.

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

leisenstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010

This one only works if you purchased Lion from the app store. It was loaded already when I bought it and Lion is no longer available on the App store.

This is the catch-22 I'm in. I've worked with Windows PCs for years and never had an issue like this. Most Windows PC makers have stopped shipping the media, but they almost always include a program to let you make your own restore disk.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
This one only works if you purchased Lion from the app store. It was loaded already when I bought it and Lion is no longer available on the App store.

This is the catch-22 I'm in. I've worked with Windows PCs for years and never had an issue like this. Most Windows PC makers have stopped shipping the media, but they almost always include a program to let you make your own restore disk.

Then use Internet restore.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
It sounds from your OP that you're just taking a precautionary measure, so maybe your MacBook is working ok at the moment. Assuming that's the case the first thing I'd do is make a bootable backup of the drive and keep it somewhere safe. (that would be separate to any normal weekly/monthly backup you may already be doing).
Next I'd look on eBay to see if there are any copies of Lion available (I think I remember them being sold on usb sticks).
Failing that a dvd retail copy of Snow Leopard could get you out of a fix if you were really up against it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.