Macbook Retina 12" with Google 15W Charger

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mleok, Oct 26, 2015.

1. mleok macrumors member

I just wanted to let people know that I recently ordered the Universal 15W USB Type-C Charger from the Google Store,

https://store.google.com/product/usb_c_charger

I am happy to report that it is compatible with the Macbook Retina 12", and it is capable of charging the Macbook, albeit slowly. At $25, it a cheap second charger and a decent alternative to the $78 it would cost to get another Apple charger and charging cable.

2. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Looks cheap. I wouldn't trust third party chargers but that's just me.

3. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

I think
    Monoprice has USB-C connector (albeit USB 2.0) charging cables at US$12.99. That's where I'll save my money.

4. mleok thread starter macrumors member

I do have the charging cable from Monoprice. The problem is finding a USB 2.0 power supply which will deliver an adequate amperage to actually charge the Macbook. The best I could find was something designed to charge an iPad, which delivers 12W of power, and that will power the Macbook, but not charge it, unless it is shut down.

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Anyone use a USB-C to USB3 cable, in conjunction with a portable battery? Wondering how fast or slow that charging goes? I've read that many can maintain a charge (eg. use an external battery for 12+ hours of transatlantic flying). But don't know if there are any that can actually charge relatively quickly? Anyone?

6. magbarn macrumors 68000

Can the google charger charge the rMB while on? My iPad charger can only charge when off/closed like mentioned above.

7. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I use a USB C cable and an iPad power brick lol.

8. mleok thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's the point I was making, it can charge the Macbook even when I'm using it, albeit more slowly than the Apple charger.