Macbook retina 13 and programming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dougian, Feb 2, 2014.

1. dougian macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I tried searching this forum (and google) but i can't seem to find much information about it.

How is the rMBP 13 for programming? I know that in retina mode you don't get much screen estate, do the scaled ones fix that problem?

Anyone here using it for programming (scripting languages and some of C/C++ along with some VS running on vmware ) without an external display?

Any thoughts?

2. robE89 macrumors regular

sorry for bumping this up, but i'm also curious about this...

3. leman macrumors 604

You can run it in 1680x1050 resolution which is certainly enough screen estate for programming (of course, depends on what you do). If you need a mobile machine for coding, the 13" will fill the bill nicely.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am using a non-Retina cMBP and I can easily code in Xcode without issues. You will have no issues whatsoever with the rMBP scaled for more space. I fired it up on a buddy's rMBP and it was amazingly sharp and immense. I got two pages of code almost on the screen.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I had written a longer text, but in the end realised that it doesn't really help: you have to try out for yourselves.

I do some simple code writing in Xcode + console compiling, for me the 13'' is OK, given the mobility benefit it gives me. Your needs might be different...

6. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I have a 13" rMBP that is connected to an external monitor for productive use. Of course the internal display can be used when in a pinch, but not recommended for primary use. It just feels too cramped. And when scaling the display, the fonts get too small to feel comfortable for long duration.

In the end, I think you will find that some agree and some won't. It's all up to preference and how you work. Or maybe I have been spoilt by many years using large displays.

7. robE89 macrumors regular

I guess very few really uses the macbook pro as main programmin machine, of course external displays are a must but i was curious if it's not an frustration when you are on the road or feel the need to go outside/etc

8. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I program on a 11" MBA, so yeah a 13" will be more than enough especially when using scaled. I use the fullscreen a lot though :)

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is one of the nice things in newer IDEs is the one window design. I personally prefer it but many despise it. To each their own.