MacBook Retina 15 Applecare Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Ray-, Oct 26, 2013.

1. -Ray- macrumors regular

-Ray-

I have a 2012 macbook retina 15 that I bought second hand. It has apple care till 2015. Today a pixel burnt out in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

What is the process for getting this fixed. The person who i bought it from stated that apple replaces with newer models when under applecare? I have never heard of this to be true? What am i looking at?

2. Shmanky macrumors regular

If you bring it in to the Genius Bar they will offer you a replacement for the display, not the entire machine. That's assuming that one stuck pixel in the corner is enough to be considered a defect, I'm not sure.

But I strongly ask you to consider not replacing it if the stuck pixel doesn't bother you too much because you could get a replacement display that's worse with a yellow tint or yellow gradient or image retention. That's what happened to me.

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, Apple will only do the "free upgrade" thing if a problem persists after several (3?) repair attempts.

4. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

its about 2 inches from either side in the bottom right hand corner. Im a developer / designer and it bothers me a lot. Second, the previous owner never gave me the applce care info. what do i do.

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

AppleCare is registered to the serial number of the machine. If you type in the serial number of apples support page it should pop right up.

I'm not sure if 1 dead pixel is enough for them to give a full replacement unless you just bought it from a store and are under the return window (where they pretty much have to accept your return).

6. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

so i shoulnt have an issue then?

----------

Also, just pulled up a black screen and i have quite a few that i notice. Do they replace the screen there or send it out.

7. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

They can do a screen replacement on site (at most stores), but expect to be asked to leave the machine overnight.

8. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

did u end up with a lg or samsung with ur replacement? and what happened in the end?

9. Shmanky macrumors regular

I got an even yellow-tinted Samsung replacement. Then a second even yellow-tinted Samsung replacement. Going to go back a 4th time to complain.

10. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

was the original samsung? most people say samsung was better over the LG lol

11. Shmanky macrumors regular

I didn't check my original display that developed muras. And I really don't know if LG or Samsung is better: I've heard of image retention on both; I've heard of discolouration on both.