Macbook Retina 15 Heat Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appl3kill, Sep 22, 2013.

1. appl3kill macrumors member

Hello I've had my retina for a while now and I'm starting to notice some very serious heat issues when im not doing some intensive work.

Any recommendation on what to do?

[​IMG]

2. cjoy macrumors member

you may not be doing intensive work, but your computer sure is.
    installd is killing it. check the logs to see if you can find out why. reboot, see if problem persists.

3. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

I was getting those exact same temps on my 15 rMBP when doing anythign that was mildly cpu intensive.

rMBP has some serious heat issues. I would bring it into Apple store and complain if I were you. Those high of temps are bull-***** honestly.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Not with that CPU usage, software is the clear culprit here CPU is likely over 70% of capacity. Some 15" Retina`s do run hot, this one is simply under load, key is finding out what app is driving up the temperatures.

5. appl3kill thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't able to find out what installld is related to regardless my temperatures still run very hot. around 89-92c

6. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

I actually just made an account to reply to all people who complain of overheating issues. I want to say, it's right to complain. The way Apple notebooks deal with heat is poor, at best.. above 100c is above the spec that Intel CPU's run at full speed. After that, they don't just shut off, like most people seem to think.. They start to throttle so it becomes easier for the cooling system to control heat output. So as of that picture, your computer is currently throttling your performance back a great deal if the temps are staying above 100c consistently.

7. Zanaros macrumors newbie

Zanaros

Heat Issues

Hey,

I really wouldn't worry about the heat issue, I have exactly the same problem on my 13" Macbook Pro. I've been gaming on this machine for almost a year at temperatures well above 100c. Apple claim this is normal and it's well within the temperature range.

A good program to monitor your temperatures is SMC Fan Control, the program also lets you control your fan speeds manually if needed.

8. skirmisser macrumors member

Not sure how you guys get 100C. I have a 15" rMBP 2.6/16/512.

On StarCraft 2 where both the CPU and GPU are stressed to 100% and fan hits 6000 rpm (using Magican to check but also the noise it makes is loud) the temperature is around 60C max 65C. Ambient temperature is 25C and below.

9. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Not sure how you're getting those temps, but something is lying to you. My ambient temp is 42c and CPU temp without doing anything intensive is 60-65C, and that is with clean fans/vents and proper thermal paste applied.

10. skirmisser macrumors member

I am using Magican to read temperatures and fan speeds.

Ambient is though not more than 25C. Normal use is around 40-50 max. Only by playing a game or doing something intensive (or a flash plugin getting "busy") I hit 60C.

Could the readings be correct and the reason for the difference be the difference in ambient temperature (maybe accumulated heat adds up to more than the sum of its parts in terms of temperature...).

11. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Well, like I said, something is lying to you. My ambient temp being 44C doesn't mean the room is 44C (111F). The room is actually around 70F (21C).

The reason I say your software is lying is because when sitting here with the CPUs at ~65C my fans are at their lowest setting of 2000RPM, not maxing out at 6000RPM. They only do that when temps are reaching 90-100C.

I don't know what Magican is, never heard of it. I would suggest checking temps with something like "Temperature Monitor."

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

Here's what mine shows right now...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. laurihoefs, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Magician is most likely taking its reading from the CPU proximity sensor, while others are referring to CPU core temperatures. See the attached images, especially the second one taken under load, where the difference between the CPU Proximity sensor and CPU Die sensor is notable.

The former is an external sensor (external to the CPU die, that is), which might stay close to ambient temps when idling. The latter is actually on the CPU die, which on the rMBP will never be that close to ambient temps.

Like Yahooligan said, use a different program, and make sure you watch the cores, not any other sensors.

Attached Files: