Macbook Retina battery lame

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wamsankas, Jul 20, 2012.

1. wamsankas macrumors newbie

I have read all the forums. i have done all the tricks and just upgraded the new software that was just released for power consumption. The battery on my 2.3 ghz macbook retina just isnt anywhere near touching 7 hours. its nit picky for sure but max it gets is 5 hours. and this is just basic web surfing (no video). 5 hours is great but i should get what i pay for right?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Your mileage will vary based on your settings, software and usage
    If you feel you have a real issue, you can take it to the Apple Store for evaluation

3. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i get between 5 and 8 hours on mine (2.7/16) with medium brightness, keyboard backlight on, wifi and bluetooth on.

one thing is video isn't that intensive, but some web pages with flash or heavy javascript are way more intensive than video.

4. Angus9541 macrumors member

Mine is the same, I've not really timed it yet cause i'm always playing video, but it's really really poor, It's only a guess but it seemed like only 2-3 hours when I'm you tubing, and it get's so hot. I'm gonna wait for mountain lion and then test, if it's the same then I'm gonna be pissed cause I live in Ireland and theres no store here!

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

^^ yes! Clicktoflash is the best solution to low battery life! Flash is a notebook killer!

6. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Youtube = Flash = dGPU running a lot of the time = runs hot and drains batteries fast

It's not the MBPR at fault here, it's your usage.

7. wamsankas thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i think i will wait until next week mountain lion and see if there is any difference. do a full test with very consistent gchat and basic webpages, time it and if i dont get near 7 hours will that be covered by warranty? i feel like if im getting 5 hours the genius will just send me home.

8. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

have you installed gfxcardstatus and set it to integrated only?

9. jcpb macrumors 6502a

No, AppleCare does not cover what you described here.

I pity the fool who buys products based on advertised battery life numbers.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't sound like you have an actual problem, based on the evidence (or lack of evidence) you've provided.

11. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

I am forcing the iGPU and I have a projected 9+ hours while I am writing this.

12. ZacT94 macrumors regular

I get 7-9 hours on the base model, with Bluetooth, Wi-fi, keyboard backlight on and 50% screen brightness.

13. nomopah macrumors newbie

Actually, there are a couple other things that could be causing it. For example, there's 2 known bugs if you used Migration to transfer files. Check out the threads for poor battery under the "Other Issues" section here and get back on if any of those apply.

14. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

15. Queen6, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

My Base 2.3 gets 7-9 just depends on your usage

16. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

I am showing close to 7 hours now after a full charge, where before I was showing around 5... That trick really does work..:)