MacBook Retina on protective film/skin = dangerous?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LEOMODE, Dec 21, 2013.

1. LEOMODE macrumors regular

Hi,

I heard that due to the thinness between the screen and the keyboard area / palm rest area, especially with the Retina MacBook's the protective films/skins for the monitor/keyboard/palm rest area might damage the screen. I also heard that especially a film on a screen will block the cooling from heating.

Is this true? Any users who have them on their MacBook Retina's?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use any skins or protection on my rMBP and it looks as good as the day I bought it. Depending on how you use it, will impact its wear and tear. With that said, I've heard the same thing and I'd be cautious about add a skin

3. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

Since I hate getting fingerprints and smudges, as well as a lifetime wear on a keyboard, I was thinking about protecting my device.

But any technical reply with the actual usage experienced user's additional comments would be greatly appareciated.

4. Pheo macrumors regular

someone posted on here about having damaged their screen with a keyboard cover, so I would proceed with caution, and probably avoid it.

5. Pheo macrumors regular

someone posted on here about having damaged their screen with a keyboard cover, so I would proceed with caution, and probably avoid it.

6. TheBearman macrumors 6502

I've been running with the palm and touchpad cover since new in May without issue. I see no indication that these make contact....

However, I did try a keyboard cover, didn't like the feel and did see "marks" on the screen where it made contact. Nothing damaged but I can see where it might.

7. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so keyboard cover is definitely not recommended while lid is closed.
    And palm rest stickers will also not affect the screen while lid closed.

How about protective screen film though? I heard that it blocks dissipating heat from the screen. Any comments on the actual usage? For my experience on my 2009 macbook pro, i really couldnt tell the difference.

8. phyx macrumors member

I've seen posts there people have spoken to appleCare and they have come with the recommendation that they should not have a protective screen film because it can break the screen because of the small space between the screen and the keyboard when the lid is closed. I've heard nothing about it blocking any heat