MacBook retina or regular help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tbdbuckeyeitl, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Tbdbuckeyeitl, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012

Tbdbuckeyeitl macrumors regular

I can't wait any longer for a new computer, I have been waiting since December for a new iMac. I want together a newer Mac so I have narrowed it down to a MacBook pro over a 2011 27 iMac. Should I get the retina 15 MacBook or the regular MacBook pro?
    I will use this MacBook pro as a desktop replacement. I worry the retina will have first generation problems while the regular MacBook might be more stable?
    Which MacBook would you get, thanks!!!

Please help which 15 MacBook would you purchase????

2. philfry macrumors regular

If you don't need portability then get an iMac. If you do want portability but weight doesn't matter then get a classic, otherwise get a retina. I wouldn't get a MacBook Pro if you really want a desktop.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

It mostly depends on what you intend on doing with your MBP, it can truly be a desktop replacement when you throw in an external monitor. So tell us your uses to help provide a better suggestion.

5. ZacT94 macrumors regular

6. Tbdbuckeyeitl thread starter macrumors regular

Info

My budget is I want to buy the base model of rmbp or mbp. I would use the MacBook for email word process and Internet. I would also like to stream movies and have the ability to play an occasional video game. Which 15 inch sounds right for me?
    Also is there problems with the first generation Regina MacBook pro

Thanks for the help

7. BruceiD macrumors member

Well, a MBA 13" will do the job.. but you want a desktop replacement so get an external display. So then you have a laptop and a display to work on instead of just a laptop that's slightly larger.
    I'm pretty sure that a MBA with it's SSD will be what you need.

If you absolutely want a MBP get a base 15" cMBP

8. ZacT94 macrumors regular

I bought the retina Macbook Pro and I haven't had any problems. The problems that have been showing up in threads are rarer than you think. It's just that you hear more from the complainers than from the people who are satisfied.

I would recommend the rMBP. I absolutely love mine and I don't regret buying it.

9. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

If you can afford it I say go for the rMBP but for your uses, really you do not need more than the base cMBP.

10. Tbdbuckeyeitl thread starter macrumors regular

I would like the retina to future proof my new computer. However I worry that 250 gig memory is not enough, I have 105 g to put on my computer now. I also worry about not having an optical drive. Are these reason to get the regular MacBook or should I just get the retina. Thanks.

11. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

How often do you use the optical drive if it's often then go classic, I for one havent used one in years and the thinner lighter rmbp seemed better for traveling for me.

12. Tbdbuckeyeitl thread starter macrumors regular

I only use the optical drive a once of twice a year. I am worried about the memory. If I use 100 g is having 150 g of free memory enough for a few years.