Macbook Retina Permanent Burn in, Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xorjo, Dec 18, 2013.

1. xorjo macrumors member

Hello all, I have a major problem and I do t know how this happened. I use macbook for work and I've been using macs for over 10 years now and I've never had so many problems until I purchased the retina MacBook Pro. I usually just close the lid when I'm done at work and put the macbook in my bag and that's it. But today, and this never happened before, when I got home, about 3.5 hours after I left work I noticed my bag was super hot and I checked and saw my macbook was on, though the lid was closed and the fans were at max with my macbook burning hot. I opened the laptop and the screen was all glitchy. Immediately I turned it off and let it cool off for about 15min. But now after turned it on, my screen had a permanent burn in :( I'm just so disappointed. First I got my screen replaced due to retention problems. Then I got it replaced due to dead pixels in the center. And now this... And no apple care and it's out of warranty now. Do you guys offer any suggestions? I know it's about $800 to get the screen replaced. So depressing. I don't even know how this happened.

2. Silon macrumors member

Do you live in Europe? I'm not exactly sure but i think Europe handles warranty a bit different then apple. You might look into that.

3. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear this... My first 2012 15r did the same thing where I would go to use the computer and it was smoking hot. Swapped it out at apple for a 2013.

I would just go into an apple store and plead your case, ask them if there is anything that can do because of all the documented trouble you have had. And mention how you never had an issue in the past.

You might get lucky although they might be on edge with the holiday season.

4. xorjo, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

xorjo thread starter macrumors member

I live in the USA and I'm just hoping they have mercy, otherwise I'll be down $800+ for a screen replacement. The screen as it is now is unusable. See pic, my wallpaper should be all black

Attached Files:

5. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Screen isn't the only issue. I would hate to replace the screen and have this happen again. Best bet is to call apple care see what they say then go to the store.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

This looks more like fried video hardware, than screen burn-in.

7. xorjo thread starter macrumors member

Can you elaborate?

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Agreed. Because the screen seems to be working just fine.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

10. xorjo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Well I won't deny something I don't know much about. I don't have access to an external monitor at the moment, if used one, if the gpu is fried, would it look the same on the external monitor?

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If the GPU is fried, then you should see much the same image.
    I suspect it will be different.
    If an external image looks normal (good), then it's only your LCD panel.

12. Zodiac.mj macrumors member

I had the same problem with 1st gen rMBP. Closed lid after work, put it into a bag and went into local Apple re-seller to get my wife new iPod. When I went in, I started talking about how well this new mac performs and asked about something, don't remember what exactly, but it required me to get my mac out. Everyone was shocked how hot the machine was, it did not shut down properly, was running all the time, even in my bag. They told me it's unintended behavior and took the machine for inspection. It also get the screen replaced (ghosting) and after that, it worked fine.

13. xorjo thread starter macrumors member

Well I just used and external monitor and the image looks fine on the external, still looks bad on the LCD. I also noticed that now the image retention is horrible. After getting my LCD replaced twice, the image retention was non existent but now after just 15 seconds, I get image retention. Not that it matters since the LCD already looks terrible anyway Can the gpu still be fried? How can I check this? I made an appointment with te Genius Bar today after work, but it's just been depressing a machine about 16months old had a major problem like this. And I've been using mac laptops since the PowerBook 12".

14. xorjo thread starter macrumors member

Good news! After having my computer on for about 2 hours, trying to work with it, the image is getting much better and the lines are disappearing. I can still see them but is not as bad, I'd say about 70% of the "lines" are gone. I can still see some but now I don't think it's worth the $800+ repair cost since at its current state, is workable. Still upset and still worried the gpu is a problem.

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I would still have it looked at by Apple. You don't have to agree to have it repaired, but maybe they can tell you if and what is wrong with the machine.

There is also some way to run Apples hardware check by yourself... google it.

16. Ai-apple macrumors regular

I 2nd that.

17. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't the device automatically shut down if the components' temperature reaches some particular point?

18. xorjo thread starter macrumors member

My device didn't shut down automatically. And now most of the "lines" are gone. Now it just looks like a ghosting issue, that unfortunately won't entire disappear. But it's much, much better than what it was before.

19. xorjo thread starter macrumors member

I included a recent pic. The vertical lines are not glare, this is what it looks line now, very noticeable on a gray wallpaper.

Attached Files: