MacBook Retina Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rcanpolat, Mar 11, 2013.

1. rcanpolat macrumors member

rcanpolat

Ok so my existing macbook (crackbook to be precise) is really starting to struggle. besides the shell falling off the machine and the dodgy replaced screen its starting to struggle in usage. i just done a format 2 days ago of my machine. it originally ran 10.5 and i worked up to 10.7 however i had to roll back to 10.6 because lion was causing the internal fan to go crazy. so im on 10.6 and im running two flash based files within chrome and both are having fps and lagging issues both in the browser and on the entire machine. they even cause audio to lag and clip at times.

Its a 2.1ghz core 2 duo with an x3100 integ, 4gb of ram and a 120gb 7200hd.

So im on the market for a new machine. I've had this one since 2008. I want to buy a 15" pro but i have a question relating to the retina display.

If osx has to draw a larger resolution on the retina screen will this not effect the gpu, integrated graphics and the cpu when compared to a non retina machine?

i know you can say a core i7 with a much more modern integrated graphics and an added gpu and a boat load of ram can handle that without any issues but will i get 4 - 5 years out of the machine like i got with my existing machine? is the machine going to lag up in 4 - 5 years and struggle with content like my current issue or will a top range core i7 mbp live on longer and still be a relatively decent player? if the retina causes the internals to work harder to draw a larger resolution am i better off to get a non retina machine? its cheaper and will last longer?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Retina does take more strain on my GPU - although the difference between the longevity of cMBP vs rMBP is going to be small. The display of the cMBP will be very outdated in 4-5 years - where the rMBP will be about the standard still.

Really depends on your use and needs - you certainly can save some $ if the cMBP fits you better.

3. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

I know you quoted GPU but you might have used it in a general expression. Does the rMBP draw the desktop with the integrated graphics or the gpu card and is it possible to force the latter to keep cycles away from the cpu?

4. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I think you're over-thinking this. The rMBP automatically switches between integrate and discrete graphics depending on the demand. You don't have to do anything nor do you have to worry about CPU cycles.

It's an absolute screamer now. Sure, it will seems slower later but what computer doesn't after 4 or 5 years?

5. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

Well if it auto switches im happy with a retina. Any load taken away from the cpu and im happy. My worry was with browsers going the way they are and more sites pushing non flash 3d content onto the web will the integrated graphics struggle because its not a "game" (html5 and upcoming standards)

I thought the GPU kicked in for processing hd media like videos and games, i didn't know it kicked in for standard computing should the load get too high.

Thanks for the post

6. Latt macrumors member

Why are you so worried about keeping cycles off of the CPU? It's a quad core beast with HT capabilities. No need to worry about it at all in my mind.