MacBook Retina screen covered in horizontal lines

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JaJaWa, Feb 19, 2013.

1. JaJaWa macrumors 6502

JaJaWa

Left my 15" rMBP (mid-2012 model, bought 15 days ago) alone whilst I went out of the room for 5 minutes. When I came back, the screen was covered in these horizontal lines, see attached photos! This is a hardware issue - it exists in Mac OS X, the boot screen and Windows, all running at any (including HiDPI and normal) resolutions.

Obviously I will be taking it into Apple but I was wondering if there any solutions. Restarting doesn't fix it. My main fear is that issue could vanish before I make it to the Genius Bar and then re-arise.

For anyone wondering, these lines are not appearing because of the camera - they are actually worse when the screen is looked at through your eyes (retinas ;) ) - this is a pretty terrible issue where I had to pay a lot extra for a retina screen and the screen has suddenly become so bad.

You can see the lines far better if you view the images below at full resolution.

Attached Files:

2. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

I have also noticed these before. I can't say what causes it though. And it doesn't happen all the time.

3. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Odd, I've noticed said lines on my retina iPad as well... Do keep us posted with whatever you find out about this

4. dma550 macrumors 6502

Wow, yes, back it goes. Does it go away if you open/close the screen? I had a toshiba that had worked it's connector loose. Truth is though, on a rMBP repair is out of our hands! Time to get that applecare.

5. JaJaWa thread starter macrumors 6502

JaJaWa

Can't take it to the Apple Store so a few days so I'll have to live with it for a bit.

I phoned AppleCare and they performed a SMC and a PRM reset/restart with me which made no difference.

Just looking at the screen now, I realised the intensity of the lines varies throughout the display. I've attached an image to show this - very strange.

The lines align exactly with the height of a normal pixel - 2 retina pixels. This means there are 900 lines across the display.

This unit was manufactured at the very end of 2012, it has an LG screen but one of the fixed models without IR etc I think.

Attached Files:

6. JaJaWa thread starter macrumors 6502

JaJaWa

Sorry to bump this but I noticed that my screen is now experiencing really bad IR - and then I realised it's what these lines are!

I thought LG had fixed this issue but this is probably just the worst case of it! This is also explains why the stripes appear and disappear.

I'd been interested if anyone else's IR is formed of these lines? I realised when I switched from the Google Image search below to Mission Control due to the corners of the thumbnails, which I've highlighted.

Attached Files:

7. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Interesting, but it still doesn't explain why it happened on my iPad. Note that it hasn't happened again, just the one time...
    Did the people at Apple have any idea what it might be?