Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bebo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Hi

Wife's macbook retina suddenly died tonight. She was watching itunes/rented movie and suddenly her laptop turned off. Won't respond at all. No power noise when the laptop is plugged in. Power was at 80% or so when it died. Can't do a hard reboot or anything.

Thoughts?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Assume you tried

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
  3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Reactions: Retops

bebo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Yep

its completely dead. Took it into the apple store yesterday. Sent off to CA, probably for replacement of the logic board.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yep

its completely dead. Took it into the apple store yesterday. Sent off to CA, probably for replacement of the logic board.

Did they give you a new one on the spot? As a work computer, I could never go without one while it is being repaired.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Hi

Wife's macbook retina suddenly died tonight. She was watching itunes/rented movie and suddenly her laptop turned off. Won't respond at all. No power noise when the laptop is plugged in. Power was at 80% or so when it died. Can't do a hard reboot or anything.

Thoughts?

Mine is back from almost 2 weeks of repair. First they did the battery. It came back and was DOA again after 24 hours. Then they replaced the logic board. It's frustrating.

rob.james.arias

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
Just took my MacBook retina into the store today. The screen is delaminating. During the appointment we discussed some other small issues I had like stuttering video when scrolling, very hot temps from time to time. I chalked it up to the low processing power. They were ready to send it in for the screen and they decided to run a "MRI" diagnostics. In about 2 minutes the apple genius states "your logic board needs to be replaced." Now I am in a predicament, it could take up to two weeks to get it back from repairs. I work full time and use my MacBook for much of my work. On top of that I am a full time college student (even though I am old lol). I have midterms next week and 8 weeks more before I finish my degree. I CAN NOT go without a computer. My MacBook is my only device capable of handeling my school load. Ever try to MLA format a 1000 word essay in an iPad?

What are the chances I could plead my case for a direct replacement? I don't have apple care as I usually purchase a new MacBook every year, right before the warranty is up. Have had no need for it.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Update, the chances are 0%.

They would need to replace the logic board twice for the same reason and then have you bring it in for the same problem a third time before they'd consider a replacement.

A first time support visit will rarely get you a replacement unit, if ever.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Just took my MacBook retina into the store today. The screen is delaminating. During the appointment we discussed some other small issues I had like stuttering video when scrolling, very hot temps from time to time. I chalked it up to the low processing power. They were ready to send it in for the screen and they decided to run a "MRI" diagnostics. In about 2 minutes the apple genius states "your logic board needs to be replaced." Now I am in a predicament, it could take up to two weeks to get it back from repairs. I work full time and use my MacBook for much of my work. On top of that I am a full time college student (even though I am old lol). I have midterms next week and 8 weeks more before I finish my degree. I CAN NOT go without a computer. My MacBook is my only device capable of handeling my school load. Ever try to MLA format a 1000 word essay in an iPad?

What are the chances I could plead my case for a direct replacement? I don't have apple care as I usually purchase a new MacBook every year, right before the warranty is up. Have had no need for it.

I had this problem with a 1.1 and 1.2 machine I got at launch time. I got another 1.1 last weekend with the bestbuy sale, and the studdering video, UI lag, or any other problems I had are not there.

Ask them for a replacement and let them know exactly what you just said: "you use the machine for work and cannot go a day without one." They may give you a loner or a new one.

Reactions: rob.james.arias

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
This is why I don't buy apple hardware anymore. I need my products to last longer than 5 minutes after the warranty expires.

phillyboy82

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
Not from Philly

You should create your own thread to start with to be polite, since your issue is completely different than the OP's...

Anyways, it sounds like it is time to go to the library, either a public one or the one at your university. Or get some cheap open box laptop or chromebook from Best Buy if you really need your own, then return it after your Macbook is back.

I never owned a laptop when I did my engineering degree last decade, but that is going (further) off-topic...

Reactions: east85

rob.james.arias

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
You should create your own thread to start with to be polite, since your issue is completely different than the OP's...

Anyways, it sounds like it is time to go to the library, either a public one or the one at your university. Or get some cheap open box laptop or chromebook from Best Buy if you really need your own, then return it after your Macbook is back.

I never owned a laptop when I did my engineering degree last decade, but that is going (further) off-topic...

I appreciate your internet etiquette pointer. I simply drew the correlation between his issue and the one I experienced in that our MacBooks were not performing as designed. Unfortunately as a full time professional (50-70 hours a week) I am often at work during normal library hours. As an online student I must be in front of a computer unfortunately. A public library or purchasing a second computer are not viable solutions using almost any metric. This is a losing proposition, akin to saying I should buy a second car in the event my current vehicle breaks down. I have a warranty on my vehicle, if it breaks I get a loaner. I purchased a BMW for this specific reason. I purchased an Apple product for many reasons, including reliability. It just seems so counter productive to buy a second device to do the job the original one was designed to do, because it has failed in a few short months. I would rather just have a reliable device.

bebo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Thanks. As my wife said shouldn't couldn't survive without a laptop, I was left without a computer!

We picked hers up today. A bit quicker than expected. Turns out some cable broke within the laptop. I'd have to look at the work sheet to be more specific ...

For th most part, we've had solid experiences with our apple hardware. Last 2 laptops have not been great. First was a refurbished macbook pro retina I purchased for her. Screen flicker issues. Returned and purchased this macbook.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
This is why I don't buy apple hardware anymore. I need my products to last longer than 5 minutes after the warranty expires.
I'd like to know the motivations to post on an Apple centric forum to say that you won't buy Apple hardware anymore...

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Hi

Thoughts?

Should be under warranty.

<end of thoughts>
[doublepost=1457328638][/doublepost]

Well you better give up buying new computers, because I've been through 3 Surface Pro 3s in the past year for example.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
No they don't.
They only make software and services meant to be run on their hardware

"their" hardware?
are you talking about the INTEL cpu?
or the SAMSUNG ram?
or the LG panel?
or the AMD gpu?
or the BROADCOM bluetooth/wifi?

Would you believe this collection of parts from various vendors can also be assembled by someone other than apple, and can run OSX even better than the collection of parts assembled by apple. For example the imac is "slim and sexy" that's great. The restricted airflow causes the cpu to throttle itself if you attempt any continuously demanding task, never allowing you to fully utilize all the ghz you paid apple for. Alternatively if you build one with the same parts, and give it adequate cooling, not only will it last longer, but you can also utilize all of the ghz you paid for. Talk about a win-win.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
"their" hardware?
or the SAMSUNG ram?
or the LG panel?
or the AMD gpu?

Would you believe this collection of parts from various vendors can also be assembled by someone other than apple, and can run OSX even better than the collection of parts assembled by apple. For example the imac is "slim and sexy" that's great. The restricted airflow causes the cpu to throttle itself if you attempt any continuously demanding task, never allowing you to fully utilize all the ghz you paid apple for. Alternatively if you build one with the same parts, and give it adequate cooling, not only will it last longer, but you can also utilize all of the ghz you paid for. Talk about a win-win.
Yes, their hardware... A computer isn't just the sum of all parts. The Apple strong point is the integration between hardware and software. An hackintosh is just a "wanna be Mac " ...
When I buy a Mac, I'm not paying "for the Ghz" ....

Reactions: Riwam and throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
"their" hardware?
or the SAMSUNG ram?
or the LG panel?
or the AMD gpu?

Apple make a particular class of device, if you think the Macbook or MBA is thermally constrained, seriously go put a Surface Pro 3 or 4 (i've had both as work machines) under load and see how hot they get. I've run an SP3 for 12 months as a work machine and just upgraded it to an SP4 (windows devices at work).

ALL mobile machines in that sort of form factor throttle. They are not intended to run at max speed for sustained periods, they're intended to clock up as fast as possible and "race to sleep" to conserve battery life.

And yes you can buy/build the same/similar internal components cheaper. You don't get OS X, you don't get the apple level of customer service and you don't get anywhere near the same quality trackpad or materials in terms of the case.

2-3 year old PC laptops look old. They go shiny where the texture wears off the plastics, the key go shiny/wear off, etc. Macs generally do not.

You get what you pay for. If you're lucky.

A computer is more than the sum of its internal components. It's no secret that apple are an integrator, rather than a component manufacturer for the most part. Things like the screen, keyboard and trackpad are the difference between a machine that is annoying to use (e.g., most DELL, HP or ASUS portables i've ever used) and something that's actually pleasant (e.g., an Apple machine with an apple trackpad).

Reactions: andreyush and Riwam

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Any company which can predict the failure of their products to be "just" after the warranty time is over (and this for the legal warranty period in every market in the world where their products are sold), must have Albert Einstein as their chief engineer.
The problem is that Einstein died many years ago...
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.