Macbook Retina UI Lag any updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anarti, Jul 16, 2013.

1. anarti macrumors regular

I'm a happy owner of 15" late 2012 retina but it's laggy as hell when switching workspace etc, window animations are jumpy.

I have installed Pupil app to switch to Non-HiDPI mode resolutions and in those modes there is no lag, but little bit blurry text.

Now I have 2 questions:

1/ Is anyone still experiencing this sort of laggy performance?
    2/ Is Maverick going to solve those bloody issues of the top of the line Macbooks?

2. leman, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

leman macrumors 604

Most of Mission Control related UI lag has been fixed in Mavericks (in my experience)

3. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

sound like good :)

4. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

On the 15 inch, Mavericks, when the resolution is set in-between 'retina' and 'more space' it's very smooth; when it's set on 'more space' (looks like 1920x1200), there's a little lag when resizing windows, especially Safari when viewing YouTube or Facebook, and a bit when going in / out of Mission Control. It's a lot better than Mountain Lion, though.

5. leman macrumors 604

There is still some initial delay when activating Mission Control if many windows are active, some have hypothesised that this has to do with caching of high-res icons (which have to be loaded first). Subsequent activation is very smooth. Similar delay is also present on cMBP btw, maybe not as pronounced. So there is still some room for improvisation, but its a rather specific thing and probably has lower priority for Apple.

Now, some applications (like App Store) still exhibit jerky resize performance, but it has to do with the way these applications are coded - it seems that App Store does some heavy layout recomputation each time the window is even slightly resized, and this is of course not the optimal way to do things.

6. cbs20 macrumors member

I have experienced the same issues in Mountain Lion and have seen significant improvements to the lag issue in Mavericks. Go to the Mavericks forum and read up on it there. A lot of users have posted their experience running Mavericks in that forum.