Macbook Retina USB ports turn on and off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waring192, Jun 1, 2017.

1. waring192 macrumors member

Hey, I have a Late 2013 MacBook Pro and recently when I plug in my iPad or iPhone in either USB ports they start charging then stop then start and stop. After a while this stops happening buts its really annoying.

I have tried about five different cables and its the same problem. iPad and iPhone charge fine using the wall plug and external HD drives when plugged into the Mac are fine and don't have the problem, just the iPad and iPhone. iPad is almost brand new also.

Any ideas?

2. cmaier macrumors G3

I assume you've rebooted the MBP? If so, sounds like it could be a problem on the main board.

3. waring192 thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't sound good. Do you know why its only iPad and iPhone that does it and after a while it settles down and charges ok?

4. jerryk macrumors 68030

Did the problem occur before you started connecting the iPad?

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I had similar errors,was cheap to fix,did you check the USB cable? In most cases,this kind of errors come from broken sync cables. Soo,check all your cables for any kind of damage especially near the connectors.

6. waring192 thread starter macrumors member

It was happening before also with my iPhone?

I have tried two brand new apple cables and also a few third party ones also. If I plug the lightning cable into a usb hub attached the Mac it works fine though?!

7. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Ok,then it's not the cable. Have you tried to carefully clean the connector and the port?

8. waring192 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, tried that. Its almost like the USB port on the Mac heats up a little (cannot tell if it does or not) which makes the connection better and keeps charging but it doesn't make sense as all my other external stuff works fine straight away.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2017 ---
    Can you get a thunderbolt to usb mini cable for charging the I devices or thunderbolt to lighting for charging?

9. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Seems like you should have it checked by proffessionals,I'm not sure it's the port,have you tried to charge the troubling device with another computer? If that works well,I would recommend to check computer. If it's the device,check it.