Macbook: Revenge of the Sith Seagate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tylerdurden9, Apr 20, 2011.

1. tylerdurden9 macrumors member

Hiya Folks.
    So recently I decided to do a harddrive upgrade on my Unibody Macbook Pro (MB470LL/A) Purchased the Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS 500g 7200rpm. Didnt get the g force protection, as I had read some conflicts with the inbuilt sudden motion sensor.

Installed beautifully and machine seems to be running smoothly and quicker in comparison to my older hard drive. However (this is where you genius' come in) I no longer here the pop of the sudden motion sensor. Usually upon moving the laptop from a table to my lap etc it would instinctively lift the drive head. I now hear nothing. I've tried every type of dangerous knee jerks with the macbook within reason. The SMS doesn't seem to respond, even though terminal tells me its on. Is their anyway way to check this or reason as to why it doesn't seem to be working?

Even stranger, when I tilt or move from Macbook, the harddrive sounds like a lightsaber. Its quite awesome, but also a little terrifying. I dont think this is normal. If anyone can give a reason or a similar experience with this, that would be great.

Cheers for the help guys. :)

2. tylerdurden9 thread starter macrumors member

Haha! I had that application and boy did I have tremendous fun with it, but what I liked about that was I COULD TURN IT OFF! I now have a permanent macsaber. :(

3. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

That is quite possibly the most retarded thing you could do with two macbook pros.
    I imagine there have been more than a couple shamefully damaged LCD's since this app's creation.
    Good thing they designed it for the iphone as well

4. tylerdurden9 thread starter macrumors member

Fully agree, I only ever practised this form of Jedi mastery over a pile of carefully placed pillows. But back to my Macbook guys. Still making the sound, but still running perfectly. Should I be worried about this? Any idea what it might be?

Im especially worried, as although I do backup. Its infrequent to say the least. If my Sudden motion sensor is not working and I become momentarily clumsy. (which is known to happen) My hard disk hasn't a hope.

Has anyone else replaced or upgraded their hard drive and failed to hear the pop of the SMS?