Macbook Review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Techguy172, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Introduction: I was a long time PC user until now, Previously I knew very little about the subject of macs the only thing i knew was they were different. I didn’t really care about them to much then. When apple introduced the intel chips i thought i might take a look but i ended up buying vista instead. Now vista is actually pretty good i liked it. However The computer i was using wasn’t. So looking into macs more and more, I Decided i would buy one. A few months later I ended up with the Macbook.

Specifacations:
    2.2ghz
    1gb
    120gb
    GMA X3100

Build Quality and Design: The macbook is a solidly built machine, it is made from a glossy plastic on the outside. Inside a matte plastic resistant to scratches or blemishes. The keyboard is different from the average computers it is a chick-let design meaning there is a larger gap between the keys then the average computer it allows for faster typing in my opinion, because it allows the user to tell when his fingers are on which keys. The computer is very attractive no matter what environment you put it . Since the Laptop is so thin, You either think it's really loud or really hot well the heat of the machine is very good it only gets warm to the touch even after hours of use. The machine is almost dead silent with the exception of the very little noise it puts out making it a very manageable machine.

Performance: The macbook performs extremely well it boots quickly and continues to run well even with 5 or more applications open at a time there is no sign of slow down on these machines. The Macbook also has wonderful battery life making it a prime traveling computer.

Operating system: Now being a long time windows user I didn't want to have to spend a long time re-learning a whole new system but Apple has done a great job making the user feel welcomed and ready to work, The Mac isn’t actually that much different from window the basic commands still work and all you files and media will still work providing your media isn’t encoded in WMA Protected. The user interface is however quite a lot different simply because you access everything directly from the dock on your mac rather than the start menu. The operating system is simplistic and easy to do anything whether that be setting up your wireless network to backing up it’s super easy and fun. It usually only takes seconds to setup networks provided you have every thing needed.

Experience: When you open your mac you get a very-good experience because everything has a place in the box and it is all packaged in a very aesthetically pleasing way. The Computer it self is gorges it looks stunning when you first see it come out of that beautiful box. When you first start the machine your greeted by a very nice welcome video clip followed by a very easy setup taking only minutes as apple say’s. Once you arrive at your desktop the computer is ready to do anything you throw at it.

Features: The Macbook has some exciting features such as the front row remote. Which with on click of a button brings up a beautiful menu that handles all your multimedia stuff from music to movies front row has you covered. Another interesting feature of the macbook is magnets; the Display of the computer is held down by magnets meaning there is no mechanics to break after a few years of use. In addition the macbook also has a magnetic power adapter that keeps you from tripping over your cable and taking the notebook with you. The Macbook features a very upgradable design that allows you to easily upgrade your Ram and Hard Drive.

Quick Look

Pros
    Bright Beautiful Display
    Great Battery life
    Good Performance
    Excellent design
    User Upgradeable

Cons
    No Dedicated Graphics Card
    Heavy for it’s size
    Gets Dirty Easily

By Joel Cummings.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

3. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

great review.

I have been using pc for a long time and i think some one put it best "life is too short to wait for windows to get good".

I switched to mac and I like it alot. I'm actually contemplating not even putting boot camp.

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

5. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

6. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I agree with most of your review. I personally think the Macbook would be a near perfect machine if it was lighter (pretty heavy for a notebook it's size), and if the speakers weren't so damn crappy. The integrated graphics don't bother me much at all because I have a gaming desktop and if it means longer battery life, then it's a good trade-off. Another minor grip is that my Macbook runs a little under 60 C when I have iTunes, Safari, and Adium running and it gets a bit warmer on my lap than I prefer.

7. Billy Bob macrumors regular

It's a pretty poor machine all in all, in my opinion. It's redeming features are it's operating system and it's small size. I personally am thinking of selling my though do to the poor build quality and the poor design of it's keyboard.

8. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Really nice review, I myself also have a macbook, and really loving it, only sometimes i wish i had biggers screen...

9. Billy Bob macrumors regular

tell me that after you've owned it for 8 months

10. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

what happens after around that period?? I have had a bad battery were i could only use the computer when it was plugged in, but i got a new battery :)

11. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

its like a baby...it grows ;)

12. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Yeah, good writeup. My sis has a MacBook (GMA950) and I use it more then her before she bring it to her university, love Tiger, works much better then XP and I cant imagine comparing Leopard to Vista (tested both, Vista sucks to the max, it even sucks more then XP, the extra part is some features that Is usefull but I can live without it)

Me? Getting a MacBook. Dont know when though. Since Im planning to go to college which will be sometime next year. I guess I wait and see if Apple updates the MacBook.

MacRumours buyers guide page rocks!

13. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Then i hope it will be kind baby :p no, but really does it really make alot of noise after some time?

14. jockmock macrumors regular

question: how's the soundcard? will it sound good if I plug the macbook into a stereo?

15. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

It will sound good as long as your music is encoded at a high quality.

16. macjay macrumors 6502

The challenge is that right now it's the only small Apple laptop.

17. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

There's nothing I love more than a good, old-fashioned MacBook review.

18. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

19. TheStu macrumors 65816

That is how long BillyBob has had his MacBook and has apparently had issues.

20. iMan G5 macrumors member

That is when it explodes and becomes reborn into a 15" Macbook Pro. :D

21. Billy Bob macrumors regular

apparent? do you doubt the issue's that I have spoken of?

22. TheStu macrumors 65816

No, I just have no proof other than your word. You could be some sort of bot that is just there to mess with my head, I just don't know.

Honestly, I don't doubt that you had issues, my friend's MacBook Pro has had just about every imaginable issue (he thought the AppleCare was only 6months, so he never got his fixed) these things happen. The main thing though is that you sit there and complain and yet have, to the best of my knowledge, done nothing about it in terms of contacting apple and bitching (politely) them out and getting those issues resolved via AppleCare.

23. Tshapi macrumors regular

Speakers

The speakers don't suck per say. the reason why the sound quality is "bad" is because the speakers are behind the screen pointed away front the intended listener.

I just placed an order for a Blackbook despite this and the lack of a dedicated graphics card.

I was in the apple store today and noticed this interesting feature regarding the speakers. one would thing that it wouldn't be to hard to point those speakers up. instead of having them face away, then also with the screen blocking the sound. it makes it sound bad

24. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Weirdly, the speakers on my 12" PowerBook sound brilliant and I put it down to that reason...

25. Tshapi macrumors regular

also apple might have a cap on the sound and volume levels. but I strongly suspect that directionality is a keep factor in the quality of sound.

my wife has an Acer... the speakers are at the very front, below the palm rests. when you play movies, you can't hear them, but music is okay from comp. programs.

I currently have a Toshiba. it has the best speakers (harman/kardon) the speakers are below the moniter and facing me.