Macbook RPM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AmbiguousNinja, Jun 20, 2011.

1. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Okay so I was running a game and all of a sudden my macbook was up to 6000 RPM. I'm not concerned that it was that high but I'm wondering how high it can go before I should be worried. Also does anyone know any apps that can make your macbook be quiet? I remember reading about one but I forgot the name :p Thanks in advance !

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs and MBs). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

3. simsaladimbamba

6000RPM is the highest, and if the Mac is beginning to overheat, it will shut down itself. So there is no need to worry.
    To control you fan speed manually, you could use SMC Fan Control, but know, that the minimum fan speed is still 2000RPM, which you can't lower that way, and which you shouldn't. But you really don't need to manage your fans with an external tool, unless you don't want a hot machine. But gaming is CPU and GPU intensive, thus there is no way around higher fan speeds.

And then there is this too:
    Adobe Flash Player is CPU intensive, thus more power is needed to feed the CPU, which results in higher temperatures and often higher fan speed(s) on mobile computers. As more power is used due to Flash, the battery life of mobile computers is shortened by a good bit.
    To check, if Adobe Flash Player is responsible for less battery time, go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor and select to show ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU.

There are a variety of Flash blockers for all the four major browsers available.
    A Flash blocker does what it says, it blocks Flash content, but via a click on the marked Flash object, the Flash object can be activated and used.

• Safari: ClickToFlash, for which there is an extension and a plug-in; CTF allows you to download YouTube and other kinds of MPEG-4 encoded video too.
    • Opera: has a built-in Flash blocker
    • Firefox: Flashblock is an add-on to block Flash
    • Chrome: FlashBlock is an extension to block Flash

Also make sure to have the latest Adobe Flash Player version running, you can get it here.​

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, I think it may be a bit higher. I've read reports of 6200rpm.

5. simsaladimbamba

6000RPM was in the ballpark, as the OP probably provided just a ballpark figure too. Mine can get around 6198 I guess, but only when watching lesbian spank infernos.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Watching mutant zombie alien lesbian spank inferno sequels will push it over the 6200 mark. :D

7. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Haha, anyways thanks I'm not gonna worry about it anymore! Just one thing, is 2000 a ballpark figure too? I've been getting 1900s-ish :p

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See my first post.